Friday, March 31, 2006

Anomia

My East Coast classmate often misuses the word "skank," according to West Coast standards/definitions.

Her definition of "skank" is as follows:
Skank (adjective): a person who is dressed bummy, hair is not fixed, no make-up. Basically just rolled out of bed, but does not have that chic “rolled out of bed” look. Often heard to say, “I hope I don’t see anyone I know today.”
According to us, a skank is, well, an R-Rated word. I told her I'd try to come up w/ a more appropriate word for her to use, but I''m having a word-finding problem (A.K.A. anomia).

What do you call somebody like that?

In my past experience, we've merely described the person just like that; no one word captures it all.

Wait! I got it! "She looks tore up (from the floor up)!"
Ghettofied version: "goo'row, she look to' up from the flo' up!"

No comments: