Saturday, March 18, 2006

Parenthood

I went to my second baby shower today, and it was a lot sappier than my first one.

My first one was for baby Cole, who BF is Godfather to, and we played crazy games like shaping a baby out of Bubble Yum. First prize went to Cole's parents' lesbian roomies, who shaped the gum into sperm. I'm still laughing about that. We also had to identify the origin of "dirty" diapers, or diapers that had an assortment of melted chocolates. So we stuck our noses in a variety of chocolates w/ peanuts, corn, krackel, etc.

So, I wasn't quite sure what to expect w/ today, but baby's momma said, they'd have real prizes, "none of that cheesy stuff." Maybe that's the difference b/t a party w/ the afterhours-crowd-in-the-daytime vs. 50 women (more than half w/ children; 95% of whom are Christian). I tried really hard to win a prize (there were only 2 games), but I didn't even come close. How in the world did 2 women know that a baby swam is called a signette? I was all proud that I knew that a baby owl is an owelette, but I forgot that a baby cow is a calf. That was after I bragged to my classmate that she better kickback b/c I've been watching a lotta Animal Planet and I was about to own everyone.

My classmates and I chipped in for a swinger thingamajiggy for baby Colin James. When it was our turn to say something sappy and/or give mommy advice, I wanted to shout out, "Dude, Colin is gonna be a hottie someday!" After all, he'll be Caucasian + Mexican. But instead, I simply said, "just one thing -- world knowledge." Just an ongoing concept-turned-joke w/ us COMD people, ever since COMD 456.

When we were leaving, my classmates asked me if the baby shower made me want to have babies sooner. I kept giving the *wrong* answers. =P I said, as much as I hate shopping (for myself), I can't wait to baby-shop! I totally wanna do a safari theme for my kiddo! And y'know I'm totally going to dress my kiddo up w/ cool gear that have turtles, to subconsciously make him/her love turtles.

Speaking of turtles, I was watching "ID4" for the zillionth time on cable and when Will Smith busted out the dolphin diamond ring for, you bet I turned to BF and asked, "can you give me a diamond ring w/ a turtle? Like have the diamond be the turtle's shell?"

Of course he gave me the obligatory, "you're CRAZY!!"

No comments: