Friday, March 10, 2006

Vocab

My best friend IMd me this AM, and she had me cracking up. Sometimes, I think kids are better with sounding out words to guess at spelling than adults:

BGF: what does phsecioius mean?
BGF: ok i know i'm not spelling that right
me: facetious
me: like lying or being fake/not honest. is that the word you're thinking about?
BGF: i dont' know. my coworker was saying it to me cuz i said it was so slow today
BGF: and he said are you being facetious?
me: yah, he's asking, are you kidding? or, r u kidding around?
BGF: so since i didnt' know what the word meant. i just said...mumbling...nah..it's just yesterday it was so busy and today it's so slow
BGF: haha
me: nice cover-up!

~~~~~

BGF: he's filopino
BGF: is that how you spell?
me: goo'row, what's up w/ your spelling? LOL

~~~~

Then again, I best know how to spell Ph/Filipino considering what my BF is. That was funny, though. Especially since my classmate and I were occupying my other classmate's client yesterday, during a parent conference, and the high-functioning 6 y/o w/ mild autism couldn't spell "birthday," "candles," and "presents" but I was so impressed by how he was sounding it out and coming up with the right spelling. Candles was a little tricky, though. He wanted to spell "cando..." -- he got fooled with the l/o.

I know I'm one to talk. There are certain words that I just can't get right. Actually, my weakness is when it comes to homonyms. I think it's an age thing + karma. I used to laugh inside at my dad when he'd mix contractions with pronouns, but now I do it ALL the time! Especially when I'm in a rush, I end up using the "wrong" your/you're or there/their/they're. As I was IMing my BGF, I said something about how there's a shortage of mails in this profession. She said, mails? Oops, I meant, males.

Which there is. For some reason, males/mails constitute only 4.4% of SLPs in the U.S.! Boys, if you wanna get into a field where you'll be a real hot commodity, join the SLP field!

No comments: