Thursday, September 21, 2006

Zero Week

Today was a day of adventure. I encountered some "weekend" drivers on a Thursday! (a.k.a. HORRIBLE drivers on the 10 around noon today.) Gees.

Despite all of that, I got to school on time for my first class. I felt like such a freshman. I was looking for my new class when I saw a bunch of students sitting on the floor in the hallway. I asked a student what class they were all waiting for. The guy said, "It's Music 243 A." Homie, you ain't gotta be embarrassed about taking intro to piano! Shortly after, my new friend (previous summer clinic client) showed up, and we shot the breeze while we waited for the instructor. No surprise ~ the instructor didn't show up. (Which idiot decided that we should have class zero week?) So I was a little annoyed that I came to school so friggin early especially b/c I was so exhausted (BF woke me up at 7 AM b/c he couldn't sleep).

The day wasn't a waste, though. After the customary 15 minutes passed, I met up with my knitters-by-day and classmates-by-night and had a blast chatting with them (and getting no work done). By no fault of theirs, I felt so left out. As they diligently worked on a marvelous charity project, Stitches from the Heart, I didn't participate b/c I'm so retarded! From the moment I saw them (before MUS 243A to after), they kept inviting me to join in. I insisted I was going to do work. Of course I didn't get any work done. Instead, I just ate, chatted, and stared in fascination at their knitting. I really should've just joined in the fun already!

The knitting reminded me of my gramma. She taught me how to crochet when I was younger. I crocheted about 2 scarves and then she taught me how to crochet a doily. I was halfway done with my crappy doily when I gave up. :( Sadly, I never picked it up again. Now that knitting's so trendy, I'm feeling inspired again by my classmates.

As my classmates knitted, I went to talk to Former Dept. Chair to confirm our friend's b-day (club Treasurer). That's when FDC called me "gutless." What?! Okay, so I know I'm a pansy, but hey, man, I don't like a professor calling me a chicken! Especially the FDC! He called me gutless for not coming with it on the other blog I update for the club I'm a Secretary for. A first year anonymously asked which grad classes are the toughest. I discussed this with club President and Newsletter Editor...and us 3 co-V.P.s discussed and agreed that there is no one (or two) tough classes. Every class is so different and everyone has their unique strengths (and weaknesses). I wasn't about to say which classes only I thought were tough. Well, either way, FDC agreed with me (even though he still gave me a hard time) and then said, "Well, it was written well and diplomatically."

For the record, neuro has NEVER been my forte. The fact that we had a neuro class almost every quarter killed me. I already suffer from STM and ADD so rote memorization of pages upon pages of neuro pathways and all that stuff was agonizing. Fortunately, I did better than I expected. In FDC's classes, I did worse than I expected in some.

The gutless pansy that I am, is afraid to answer next week's question now that I know he is going to read it!

No comments: