Saturday, September 16, 2006

Runner-Up x 3

OMG! RedEarSlider.com posted the August/September Winner sometime between my post last night and now!

Although my precious baby is not the winner, all 3 of her pictures are final contestants!! Woo-hoo!! Check it out ~ pictures 5, 6, & 7 (submitted by Chanel No. 13). I guess they did get my original e-mail (and I submitted 2 different ones from last night).

This is picture #5. It just may be my all-time favorite picture. If you look closely, she is eating a fish. (Mu-hahaha!) I love this picture because it's crisp, natural, and beautiful. Plus, all RES hatchlings are adorable, especially Lil F. ;) I think this was the third time she ate a fish (second time I actually witnessed it). I am normally disgusted by guts and gore, so it's a big mystery how I can drive to Petco (so out of my way) and giddily purchase fish for Lil F to massacre for dinner. She takes after her carnivorous daddy. Or maybe she takes after her mommy who loves seafood.

This is a frequent desktop picture of mine for several reasons. For one, I love the illusion that her red ears are yellow...and that her reflection accurately portrays them as red. Very subtle detail. I also like it because it captures her in deep thought ~ like she's contemplating how much God has blessed her and will continue to. If it weren't for Daddy thinking about Mommy and how much she might like a turtle, she would've been dead within a week or two (which I cannot imagine!). She is extremely loved (and spoiled). (Unfortunately, Daddy had no idea how much Mommy would grow to love her turtle and sea turtles.)

This last picture is great because it exhibits her natural-born talent. :D She's a natural-born model! This would be equivalent to a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model photo on the beach. What more can I say? She's a natural.

I <3> my turtle. She has brought so much joy into our home. She has been my natural therapy from day 1. Whenever I'm stressed, I just watch her swim gracefully or stare into her beautiful, hypnotizingly gorgeous green eyes and I'm instantly soothed. I know it sounds crazy but I never realized how much I could love a turtle...a living thing that may not have much regard for me (except around feeding time). It makes me think of when mommies establish the first communication act with their pre-verbal infants. The infants coo and the mommy attaches significant meaning to the sounds. When my turtle splooshes wildly, I think she's trying to get my attention (e.g., she wants me to take her out to play). Whether mommies interpret the right meanings, mommies are happy to be with their baby. I am happy to be with my turtle.

P.S. I like redearslider.com and their gallery because all of them are completely un-photoshopped. I've visited other galleries and almost every picture is altered. For shame. What happened to natural beauty? ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lil F - you are a super star!

This is really a touching post about the love humans have for their pets. You have beautifully expressed unconditional love for something who does the same in return. Many people do not get the love that exists between humans and their pets, but it is by far a very real tangible gift. I am happy your home is blessed with it.