Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First Day of Classes (again)

Yesterday was the first session of Tuesday classes.

The worst realization yesterday was that this quarter is not going to be as easy as I thought! I mean, receiving a 15 page syllabus is kind of a tip-off. Thankfully, this professor is sorta like Thursday's Professor ~ really easy-going. I love that she is the most tech-savvy Prof I have ever had, too. She tries so hard to make everyone's life easier.

My day started off quite early. I woke up at 5:30 for no good reason and spent like 2 hours organizing grad school papers (don't ask). After my short hour with FBIL, I jammed to school. I had my first piano class and it was pretty fun. A part of it was b/c I was really entertained by the variety of piano-playing. The guy next to me was definitely not a beginner. All I could think about was, "What a show-off!" At the same time, I laughed to myself b/c 1) I always laugh to myself. 2) He was actually genuinely friendly to everyone, like helping his other neighbor find the middle of the keyboard. 3) The song he kept playing, I played over a decade ago, too. I was just hating on him b/c I couldn't remember the song at the time. (It's the first song on the Suzuki Method Vol. 6 cassette tape that Mom gave me ages ago.)

Instead, I just faked that I was a beginner b/c I didn't want the prof to kick me out! She almost did until I told her that this was my only opportunity since I can't come on Mon/Wed and I'll be off-campus next quarter.

I had my conference call with clinic supervisor and that was fine. She was really helpful and really intuitive. This should be another good learning (through mistakes) quarter. =P I have 2 kiddos again; both are ELL. Oh yeah, I think I'm supposed to research a little bit on Spanish syntax and how it compares to English. Yikes.

AAC Prof let us out early (woo-hoo!) so that was great! Actually, what I forgot about her is that she can be really entertaining and say the funniest phrases. (She also taught me the acronym FLK. Funny-Looking Kid. "Y'know, that one FLK that never really has any friends, is a little off, but the other kids aren't exactly sure why." The "why" is b/c the kid has a disability or disorder).

As we were leaving, KR gave me a $1 to play in Vegas for her. I'm not one to gamble...nor is she! But I promised her that if she gave me a $1 to play for her, it'd be luckier than me playing a dollar for her. The reason being is that many moons ago, BF pulled the same stint. He told his co-worker that when she's in Vegas, please do one thing for him. If she sees a roulette table that just hit on 17 or 31, put his $10 on 10. She was walking past some tables, totally plastered, saw one of the 2 numbers and told some guy she had just met, "hold on, I need to do something for my co-worker." So she's like drunk and talking to the guy as the ball's spinning, telling him that it's so not going to hit.

It totally hit and she walked away in shock with $310. True story! (Last night, when I asked him to re-tell me the story, he added, "I'm actually surprised that she even gave me the money. I wasn't close to her or anything. She could've easily walked away with it all and not even tell me. I gave her $50 for it.").

So this weekend, my mission is find a lucky quarter slot machine and hit the jackpot for KR. If we're lucky, I'll earn $50, too. That and 479 notes. :D

No comments: