Friday, September 08, 2006

RAoK: Rent 1 Get 1 Free

"Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty" ~ Anne Herbert

When writing the mantra post, I decided I'd blog about random acts of kindness that people commit. Today, somebody committed a random act of kindness* in my favor. It's kinda cheesy, but I totally appreciated it.

*Did you know that there's actually an acronym for "random act of kindness"? RAoK.

I went to the video store to return some DVDs and rent some X-Box games for the BF. I had no clue how pricey it is renting games. After narrowing it down to 3, I proceeded to the register. Homeboy was taking forever and a day finding the games, putting them in the display boxes, ringing me up, etc. Then he looked up at me and said, "I have a coupon here for 'rent 1, get 1 free.'" and he scanned it. I was really taken aback by his generous act. Of course I instantly felt guilty about whining in my head about how homeboy was taking forever to complete the transaction.

Wasn't that nice? Especially for someone who LOVES to use coupons. (How did he know?? JK)

I know, I know; it's natural for people to rationalize, "So what? It didn't cost him a penny." Bottom line is that he didn't have to do it, but he did, and I really appreciated it and it made me really happy. That's what makes it a RAoK (i.e., "selfless act performed by kind people to either help or cheer up a random stranger, for no reason other than to make people happier.")

If I go out tomorrow, I'm totally paying it forward. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I keep meaning to tell you also that while I didn't read this post in its entirity prior to today, I did skim the very beginning on 9/10. I was checking to see if your post was up prior to completing mine for 9/11. Anyway I was inspired by the RAoK idea and that is why I included it in my 9/11 tribute. So thanks homie g!