Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Helps to be a girl

Yes, I post-dated my 9/11 tribute so that it would stay on top for the week. :) Also so I could continue blogging in "real" time but still observe remembrance. I wanted to note today because it was quite a feel-good day.

Last night, I stayed up watching "Akeelah and the Bee." Funny because I was watching "Coach Carter" earlier when my all-time favorite poem was recited. Even more interesting is that it resonated the sermon spoken on Sunday. =O

Anywho, I stayed up late watching the flicks so I slept in until about 1. :D Before I knew it, it was already 3 P.M. and so I jammed out to run a ton of errands. First stop was Hollywood Videos on Venice to return "Akeelah & the Bee." Then I went to the dry cleaners to drop off Gramma's pants (she would like to wear them while on vacation in China) where the gentleman in front of me cracked a joke; "I see you've got a large load there." Haha, yes. Next was returns at Radio Shack, Petco, and Circuit City. Making returns is always rewarding for me b/c I'm getting money back (or BF is).

The stops in Marina Del Rey is what is blogworthy. I went to get Costco gas and 91 was $2.96!! I laugh when I re-read my blog and see that I was tripping out over gas at $2.91. HAHA. Anywho, at the gas station, the attendant helped an older lady. She pulled up and embarrasingly asked if it was okay that she was on the "wrong" side. The attendant not only said it was okay, but he also pumped her gas. I thought that was very nice of him because I think the attendants usually don't like it when the car pulls up with the gas tank on the opposite side. Even moreso is that he gave her like full service; she didn't get out of her car at all. As he was pumping the gas, he swaggered over to me and said, "Hello, cutie, how are you today?" I was caught offguard, but he said it in an un-sleazy, innocent way so I responded automatically, "good, thx, how are you?"* Then as I was finishing up, he said, "God bless you!" Actually, I didn't think he was talking to me because it sounded like he was facing the older lady. As I drove away, I thought, maybe he was speaking to me because maybe he noticed I was done. Either way, I thought that was a nice experience. Usually, the only person that says "God bless you" to me is my Pastor Aunty. Oh, and my Dad's answering machine in Chinese.

*I tripped out on Friday at Circuit City when the exit check-out guy called me over because I was about to exit through the entrance. He said, "Oh, I was just calling you over this way so I could flirt with you" (as he checked my receipt to see if I jacked anything). I don't react very well when people catch me offguard like that so I said something retarded like, "Oh, don't say that."

At Costco, I was particularly pleased because I "helped" 2 people. I was deciding whether to get toothpaste when I noticed that below the first row of 4-packs were "buy 4 get 1 free" packs! With my $2.50 coupon, I was extremely thrilled at the bargain. A gentleman was standing there deciding, when he picked up a 4-pack. Another lady came by and grabbed a 4-pack, too. I said to both of them, "You should really get the 'buy 4, get 1 free' pack" and then helped them yank it out from underneath the first row. They were really thankful. I know it's really cheesy, but I was happy to help them out in that way.

Then I went to Hollywood Videos and was hooked up again! I grabbed 2 videos (had a coupon for rent 1, get 1 free) and 2 X-box games, but homeboy couldn't find one of the games (despite it saying there was 1 in the system). So I asked if they had some other game and he said they didn't have it at all. I said, no problem, and grabbed a different game. He said, "I charged you for the games." I stood there like an idiot, wondering why was he telling me that? The idiot that I am, asked him, "What do you mean?" Did he mean he accidentally charged me the full-price of 2 games?? He probably had one of my infamous moments of, "What do you mean what do I mean?" He clarified, "I only charged you for the games and not the videos." OoOOoh, that's what he meant. "Really?? Thank you so much!!"

Bro said he must've thought I was a gamer or something b/c he probably was one, too. I said, unlikely. I was on the phone w/ BF telling him they didn't have whichever game when that whole exchange took place. When I pranced out of the store and told BF, BF said, "It helps to be a girl."

Or maybe it was b/c I did a cheesy "good deed" at Costco...Or yeah, maybe because I'm a girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good day! And genius of you to post date the 9/11 tribute. I don't think i quite got what you were talking about until I just checked it out!) Anyway I am glad you are continuing your random acts of kindness with the toothpaste biznez!

And look at you - all the flirting and what not! Fun!