Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Tribute to the Crocodile Hunter


Crocodile Hunter, may God rest your soul. May God be with your loved ones.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

I have been meaning to pay a written tribute to Mr. Steve Irwin, since I first read the Yahoo news 40 minutes after the newsbreak about his passing. It's weird for me to realize how one person across the world could have such an effect on me. I first found out around 2 A.M. Monday morning when I was researching and reading tributes to Mr. Moises Rivas, the man I will honor on September 11th. I was absolutely stunned at the news of the Crocodile Hunter's passing.

BF was sleeping and happened to wake up for a brief second, so I ran to him and broke the news. Not a minute later, he was up reading about the newsbreak. We are both HUGE Discovery Channel fans (and I, Animal Planet, too) so we've seen quite a number of his shows. I have always admired how him and Jeff Corwin could fearlessly mingle with the wildlife that they love most. His way of passing is truly unfortunate.

Monday (normal) morning, we discussed how people reacted to Mr. Irwin's passing. Despite the grim news, many lambasted him on forums, "Well, what did he expect was going to happen?" It disturbs me that in a man's passing, strangers would still criticize and judge a man's actions with such disrespect. (Thankfully, the site admin has a zero tolerance rule and banned quite a few members for their distasteful comments.)

In light of people's passing, I keep thinking about what D. Challener Roe, the creator of Project 2,996 wrote ~ let us honor people by remembering their lives, not by remembering their murderers [or criticizing their life or way of passing].

Mr. Steve Irwin was truly an animal lover and one of the world's most passionate environmentalists. He graced television for over a decade, not for the fame but for his passion for wildlife.

I hope that one day, I will have the honor of visiting his zoo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

The loss of Steve Irwin saddens me immensely. I am still surprised by how much sorrow I have felt at his loss. Not only for him, his family, the many animals he cared for and loved, but for the world too.

I appreciate that you remember his life and not his tragic death.

Thank you for the kind memorial to a man who will be missed by millions. God bless Steve Irwin and his family.