Saturday, August 05, 2006

A schoolgirl's night out

Yesterday, Doctor Cousin flew in to L.A. and spent the night. We had lunch at Souplantation (yummers!), compliments of Dr. Cousin. I have to note the most curious fro-yo eating habit I have ever witnessed. As I swirled my fro-yo in the dish, I saw Dr. Cousin scooping toppings into the dish first, and then she swirled her fro-yo on top of them. At the table, she started mixing it all together, like we were at Cold Stone Creamery. Her explanation was that her method prevented all the toppings from falling off. Very curious. Is that how smart people eat fro-yo? Well, it still looked yummy anyways.

Anywho, so we planned on heading out Friday night, but since I've been a lame schoolgirl, I've lost all connections to night-life events (and people) (which is probably a good thing). Unfortunately, almost all of Dr. Cousin's homies were all out of town, too. So after telling the BF about 10 times that I was going out with Dr. Cousin and her homies, I ended up watching a few old DVDs at home (Boondock Saints and Pulp Fiction), while he worked, and Dr. Cousin fell asleep on the sofa. That made for an exciting night for the both of us. =P Or the 3 of us. Gawsh, I only live in L.A. where an event happens on every city block, yet I couldn't manage to think of a single place worth going to.

Dr. Cousin left around noon and I got ready for a weekend with the family. My bro made reservations at Khoury's in Long Beach, a very nice seafood buffet for someone who LOVES seafood (moi). The dinner was actually to celebrate Chinese Father's Day (August 8 = 8/8 = "baba jie" in Pinyin = translation of "Father's Day"). My dad has wanted to bring us there for sometime, so my bro decided on American Father's Day that he'd bring Dad for Chinese Father's Day.

Dude, that buffet was insane! I love seafood and I love buffets, but apparently there are others who love it more than I. Gramma, Guh, and I each had 2 Maine lobsters (roughly a pound whole) plus an assortment of other seafood. Dad had 4 lobster tails (go Dad!). BUT the teen at the next table ate SEVEN. (Dad likes to keep tabs on what people eat, like at the Dodger's game.) Goodness gracious. At least that kid got his money's worth.

The sad part about the meal was that our waiter counted two Senior Citizens. Although Dad was happy about the discount, he was also panged with sadness that people think he is that old. My bro later guilt-tripped me about not making him feel any better about his age. :( Poor Dad. Dad kept asking my bro and I in a joking tone, "so, who told the waiter that I'm a Senior Citizen? You? Or was it you?" Poor Dad. He doesn't look that old but considering my aunts and Grandma look very young for their age, he got jacked. Kind of like how my bro jacked all the healthy genes and I got the leftover high cholesterol, iron deficient, low immunity genes.

On a separate note, I pulled out my old diary in preparation for the next post. Several entries in a row, I wrote about how much I love Dad (and miss him b/c he was traveling for business). Aww. I think I'll send Dad an e-card. I bet he hasn't received one of those in a while. He might just print it out from his new all-in-one printer.

Welp, happy Chinese Father's Day!

No comments: