Saturday, August 19, 2006

3 A.M. vs. 24/7

Last week, my classmate asked if I KIT with any friends via snail-mail. I actually never do. On the contrary, I LOVE e-mailing (thanks to the modern marvels of wireless/cable internet and the ability to 80+ wpm). However, I have to admit that there is something that's lost.

When I was younger, I wrote countless letters and notes to friends. Oh yes, and even cheesy "love" letters. I even partook in the typical note-passing in class, between classes, and locker-drop. Notes were folded into a variety of patterns: hearts, triangles, scrunched up balls resembling trash, etc. I'm sure those notes and letters consisted of my lame rants, raves, and confessions similar to my Get Mortified entries.

Nowadays, I only snail-mail a card once in a blue moon. It's generally a random "thinking of you card." Only two years ago did I begin a "tradition" of sending out Christmas cards. Maybe next year, I'll start sending out birthday cards.

As a "grown-up" now, I see the difference between e-mailing and writing. In writing, I put a lot of thought and care into every sentence. Yes, I'll admit that for wedding and birthday cards, I typically draft it out first b/c I'm retarded like that. With e-mails, I can improvise, type exactly as I'm thinking (unfortunately for the reader), delete, cut, paste, respond immediately with two words, etc. In short, it's a really casual act.

So when I get a heartwarnming e-mail, it really stops me in my tracks. A few weeks ago, I received a really serious, genuine e-mail from a good friend. She's the only one I've ever let get away with calling me her Big Sis (I have strict standards, I guess). It struck me b/c normally, our e-mails are the usual chit-chat, ketchup. We don't call each other much (I am the worst person to KIT w/ via phone) so every so often, I send an e-mail to let her know that I'm still thinking about her despite the distance and silence. In her e-mail, she reminisced about the times we'd hang out well into the night, talking about anything and everything, from relationships to religion. She lamented about the void she feels, since we used to talk all the time. She ended with very loving words and a reminder that she will always be there for me (and I know she is).

In my response back, I tried my best to keep the improvs and casualness at bay, and kick-up the formal writing a notch, but in the end, I was still my blathering self. However, I did end with the hope that she still considers me a 3 A.M. friend -- as in she can always call me at 3 A.M. (or whenever) should she ever need to -- or more importantly -- want to.

She responded with, "I don't think of you as a 3 AM friend. Just a 24/7 sis."

I thought that was real sweet. :*)

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

So I'm getting really sappy and sentimental. I can't help it. It's the looming stress of 10th week and finals that always puts me in a funk. Besides, it's nice to get a serious, thoughtful e-mail in the midst of funny forwards and e-mail reminders of assignment deadlines.

(Un)fortunately, this also means that I'll be posting a lot on random, lame thoughts at least twice a day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snail mail is truly an art that I love. I think I need to write a post on this. And how nice to be a 24/7 sis/friend. That truly is a beautiful thing.