Saturday, February 04, 2006

Saturday Outing

After months of whining to my bro about how I never get to do anything fun, I joined him and his friends on a walk from 3rd Street to San Vicente and back to the Farmer's Market (the one where the old man plowed through and killed a few people, last year) and ended up at the Lighthouse Buffet (rated top 5 buffets in the nation by Food Network!). Talk about being out of shape, the hour walk (+ 50 jumping jacks, as mandated by former We Ho cheerleader friend) along the beach was tiring! But it was a very nice way for me to get some fresh air and au naturale, non-medicinal, non-herbal stress relief.

Speaking of beaches, I just spoke w/ a friend who's visiting home, and she's down in SD. Lucky! I miss the SD beaches (so I'm glad I'm vicariously living through her as well). Back in college, I used to love hitting Scripps b/c the sand is absolutely breathtaking. You'd see slivers of purple (my fave color) w/ all shades of grays & silvers, all sparkling like glitter under the sun. (So what if I like all shiny, sparkly, glittery things?). But nothing beats the craziness of LA's beach "culture." Just on our hour walk, we saw soOOooO many bums, runners, doggies, old folks, and babies. Very interesting mix. Oh yeah, and one stark-raving lunatic. There's always at least one of those that are yelling about something totally nutty around Venice and/or Santa Monica. No matter how many loonies I encounter, I'm always still really shaken as if it's my 1st time in crazy L.A.

Man, all this beach talk just makes me feel like I definitely need to get out more -- another thing to add to my list of "things to do after I quit work." One day, I will have a real tan. One day. Even if it's a dirty Venice Beach tan. =P

Random (as I work on class notes): it bugs me that people still do not know how to use the bullet-style or number formatting in Word, so they tab everything to make it look perfect. It's so deceiving. Once you correct their typo, all the spacing gets messed up! Seriously, dude, it's not all that difficult. If I've learned anything from work, it's how to format a document. You want a tab leader? You got it. The only thing I haven't figured out (non-format related) is, where in the world does your document go when you've been working on an e-mail attachment, saving it (no, not "save as"), and you quit out of it just to have it disappear into a Black Hole? I've done that twice now, which is "so not like you, Cheryl" and haven't found it in Temp Settings/Docs or anywhere else.

Come to think of it, I've been doing these stupid mistakes that are "so not like you, Cheryl" more often than I'd like, these days. I.e. when co-worker spoke w/ me re: mistakes on entering timesheets, she said, "that's so not like you." Well, maybe she was just being nice.

Another random: I had the luxury of watching "Mythbusters" while I (slowly) ate my dinner, and it turns out that it's better to walk in the rain than run in the rain, if you're concerned about getting wet. Who knew? I never even thought about the difference. All my life, I've been told to "run! It's raining!"

No comments: