Monday, February 13, 2006

Homecoming

On Saturday, I visited my relatives in THE OC to celebrate 3 homecomings. As usual, I got lost driving there. Dude, totally not my fault – The 5S was closed, and there was no detour route! Prior to that, I was talking to my cousin when I realized the gathering was at my Captain Cousin’s house, rather than Pastor Aunty’s house, and so I lamented about how I didn’t have the right directions. 5-years-my-junior-Cousin said quite seriously, “what? You don’t have a GPS system?” Well, excusey moi! On second thought, maybe she has a point; I do need one. Honestly, I have no idea what happened to my sense of direction. I used to have no problems whatsoever w/ directions in college, leaving a scene under not-so-clear states, around last-call hours. Nowadays, in my perpetual moments of clarity (or so I think), I manage to get lost wherever I go. Detour signs send me into a state of panic.

Anywho, Pastor Aunty’s 3 kids were being welcomed back. Captain Cousin is finally back from Kosovo and here to stay! Cousin, Esq. is visiting from law school up North, and Dr. Cousin is visiting from residency at Yale. We had a really good time, despite my bro and dad being MIA. Bro was at a wedding, and Dad was packing to leave for China (again). Instead of bringing home leftovers, I got 2 Valentine’s Day mylar balloons from Uncle W. :D

Spending time with the family made me realize how much school and work consumes my thoughts and time, and how it’s the same story day in and day out. It’s all I talk about! =(  Before I took off, Lorax asked me, “are you excited about today?” I’m thinking, what’s there to be excited about? Oh yeah, I’m going to a family gathering! Those are usually fun! I said, “y’know, I am excited, but not as excited as I could be b/c in the back of mind, I’m worried about not having enough time to study for my exam.”

In addition to the “same $h!+, different day” attitude, I had a convo with Captain Cousin’s Wife’s Sister’s BF, who said, “oh yah, that’s right; last time you told me that you’re working and in school f/t, and that you’re trying to quit.” I’m sure that must have been months ago that I told him all that. I’m sure everyone’s tired of hearing me talk about my same $h!+, different day. *Sigh.*

Anywho, I spent the rest of the weekend w/ Dad and Gramma. Poor Gramma; both of her boxes of Ensures were accidentally left at Dad’s! There was miscommunication on me and Dad’s part. As for Dad, I dropped him off at LAX last night. He actually drove my car, which I thought was funny/cute. He never asked to drive my Benzo in the past. Then again, he HATES small cars (although I LOVE small cars; I coulda totally gone for a Mini-Cooper). I’m actually really hoping and planning either this August or next year after graduation to go to China for real traveling and vacationing. I totally want to do the touristy thing – see the Great Wall, eat turtle soup, shop for knock-offs, etc.  

Totally j/k re: turtle soup! =X

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you clarified re: the turtle soup. I was seriously sitting here with my mouth on the floor!