Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Candied Caramel Apples

"Poet laureate Billy Collins says poetry should displace silence, so that before the poem there is silence, and afterward, silence again. A sea turtle, suddenly appearing at the surface for a sip of air, displaces water. And afterward, water still. This is the turtle's poetry, a wordless eloquence stated in silence and, in a moment, gone."
~Voyage of the Turtle by Carl Safina

I started reading my book from BSILF and I found that quote so profound and beautiful. Isn't it?

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

Today, I attempted to do some more things on my Winter Break To-Do List, but didn't get around to too much. I ran some more errands and then finally wrote evaluations for both my Dx and Tx supervisors. Afterwards, I headed over to my bro's to start on our candied caramel apples. After we coated the caramel on, we ran out to Target and stopped by Honey's (?) for delicious fried chicken. We got back and globbed on a layer of semi-sweet chocolate and put on nuts and called it a night.

Every time we make these apples, we tell ourselves to take notes b/c something always goes wrong, and we forget how we managed the previous times! This year, our apples got stuck to the wax paper. My bro ended up having to blow dry underneath the wax paper to get it heated up enough to pull off. Hopefully, we'll remember to Pam everything well enough the next time.

I really enjoy making these apples with my bro. A part of it is because I LOVE eating them! I love giving them away, too. :) I am not great at baking nor cooking so when the recipient thinks it is store-bought, it is a great compliment for me! Above all, I feel like it is me and my bro's thing (and sometimes FBIL, except that he has finals this week). I have secretly been trying to make it a tradition between us. This will be our 3rd time in 4 years. I also really enjoy making them because I can make mine however I want. One year, I made a mother huge one for myself. It had like 5 layers of chocolates and caramel and then some more candies. It was ridiculous. I think my stomach did somersaults every time I ate just one slice. I may be inspired to make a mother huge one tmrw. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. The quote really is incredible. I am moved by it. (cheesy, but true!)

2. I am so lad you and bro got to make candied apples together, it sounds like a wonderful tradition and an outstanding way to celebrate the holidays together and your love and friendship for each other!

Anonymous said...

I am NOT lad, but rather "glad!"