Saturday, December 09, 2006

Last Day

Today was my last:
  • day of work (until further notice)
  • day of on-campus clinic
  • day with 2T
  • day of the quarter!
  • Whining re: 2T for the quarter!

Today, I arrived on time for my meeting w/ 2T…just to sit there for an hour and 15 before she was ready for me. Imagine Rat B’s surprise when she saw me sitting in the next room over, waiting for my meeting. We both sat there lacing our miming with “real” convo b/c we knew she was eavesdropping.

A written dramatization of our “conversation”:

Rat A: Hi [Rat B]!
Rat A & Rat B mime: WTH! You haven’t met w/ her yet? What time is it!! I know! It’s been an hour!
Rat B: Hi [Rat A]! How are you?
Rat A: Cool, cool. I’m just burning a holiday CD for myself.
Rat A mime: as I wait for her! I’ve been waiting over an hour!
Rat B mime: Dang! That sucks!
Rat B: Hey, maybe u can help me w/ my hospital placement application.
Rat B mime: R U for reals?? Wasn’t your meeting set for 4:30?
Rat A mime: Yeah! And it’s 5:30 right now and I still haven’t met w/ her!
Rat A: Sure, I’ll help you. That sucks you have to fill out an application.

Finally, 1.25 hours later, she was ready for me. I got my grade – disappointing, but not surprising. I didn’t bother to defend myself b/c if I did, it would have started off with, “Well, YOU told me to…” which would not have been very nice and mature. However, she did give me very nice verbal and written comments. She was "initially" "impressed" at how observant and analytical I am. The numerical eval is where it went downhill. Dude, I regressed from my midterm evaluation on some components, according to the numerical grading scale. How sad is that? I didn't even know that was possible.

Anywho, I waited for Rat B to finish her meeting and then we quickly walked out. I had a fun date set to meet Younger Genius Cousin for the Damien Rice concert at the Orpheum. Dude, it was totally rad!

First of all, I was really happy to spend time w/ YGC. The last time we had a “date,” I was babysitting him for the weekend. Now, he’s like a foot taller than me and chaperoning me. LOL I had a great time w/ YGC. He's really down to earth, and it's easy to talk with him because he is open, verbal, and honest. It's funny b/c he is such a genius, but sometimes, he asks naive questions. It's adorable. ;) I.e., when we got in line for a cocktail, he was like, "You mean, you can just tell them what you want and they'll make it?" Well, it is a GOOD thing that he doesn't know, actually. :) Damien Rice also hit a switch and did some cool vocal effects and YGC looked at me and asked, "Hey, how is he doing that with his voice?"

We both thoroughly enjoyed the concert (and we both want to play the cello). The opening band was so good that we got the CD during intermission. I tried to get a shirt for my cousin, but he wasn't as impressed with them. After the intermission, Damien and his band began. It was 2.5 hours of awesome music. I love his music b/c it’s soulful and mellow (i.e., coffee-shop music). So I was surprised when he totally rocked out (b/c the day before was his b-day and two friends bought him an electric guitar) – but even that was great b/c it was so full of emotion. I loved that with some of the songs, they totally rocked on with the endings. I'm into songs that kinda switch tempo and build up or rock out (sorta) at some point. Plus, I love watching musicians who get so into their music. It’s like nothing else in the world matters – not the thousands of people watching them – they and their music are one and that’s all that they need to know and feel at that moment in time. You gotta love what you do for yourself. Kudos when others appreciate what you do.

They played many songs from “O” and his recently released album“9,” as well as unreleased ones. Even his celloist played and sang a solo (sorta) that was great! I just love music and I love loving music (that was not a typo)! Watching the celloist reminded me that I once said I’d like to learn to play the cello. I still want to. J I hope I don't become one of those crazy moms that vicariously live through their kids (i.e., my daughter will play the cello). I'll just pick up lessons with her. ;) J/K

As former musicians and avid music-lovers, YGC and I kept exchanging expressions of shock and admiration for Damien and his band. My appreciation for music is increased tenfold when I see live performances. I can’t wait to go to another concert. I hope Sarah McLachlan starts touring soon.

It’s been a long week, but Winter Break has officially begun in an awesome way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Damien! I love him too! And that girl that sings with him, Lisa Hannigan - her voice is so hauntingly beautiful! And I LOoOoOove the Cello! It's my favorite string instrument! So soulful! Yay school's over! Let me end one more sentence with an exclamation point!

Chanel said...

Damien and Lisa -- and the rest of his crew are awesome! Lisa's voice is really unique -- sultry (voice disorderish?) and beautiful.
We should take cello lessons! Well, one thing at a time. We'll start with a regular gym schedule... ;)