Thursday, October 05, 2006

What week is it?

This week has been crazy for me. I don't recall ever having taken a vacation since I started school two years ago. And now I know why.

I can't get back on track for the life of me! I've already lost track of which week it is. Not to mention, the feeling I have this week is the same overwhelming feeling of stress and anxiety I experienced the very first few weeks as a first year graduate student a year ago. It's just been insanely busy for me.

I had my first day of clinic on Tuesday and that went better than I expected my supervisor to think. First sessions are always nervewracking for me. Fortunately, my nerves don't show on camera (according to past and current supervisors). Me and my big mouth wrote on my session evaluation that I was nervous but was glad that the session went well, so my supervisor would like to discuss with me tmrw about getting rid of jitters caused by unpredictable situations.

My first session went without incident, except that my little Miracle took me for a ride. And I totally let her. My classmate had her last quarter and this little trickster always used a potty-break as an excuse to get out. Since I was having first day jitters and time wasn't passing by fast enough, I faked a, "Are you sure you really have to go now?" "Yes." "Okay, let's go." But unbeknownst to her, I'm totally onto her so I'm gonna have to lay some rules down next week.

My second kiddo, a.k.a. the Riddler from hereonforth, has got me literally losing sleep over him. Hence, his nickname. He is such an E. Nygma to me! I didn't sleep until 6 AM this morning b/c I was researching and analyzing stuff. Actually, around midnight, I received a life-saving e-mail from my fave clinic partner, who totally helped me brainstorm about possible Dxs. I got 3 hours of sleep which doesn't do me a whole lot of good. As I got ready for school, I totally knocked over my make-up box and about 10 items fell into the john! :( Fortunately, none were favorites, expensive, nor most frequently used. Actually, I lost a Chanel lipstick, but I didn't wear it much anyways. When I told BF, he genuinely said, "Aw, I'm sorry," rather than, "I told you you're clumsy!" I nonchalantly said, "That's ok." So nonchalant that I even surprised myself. My rationization is that my make-up box needed a clean-up anyways.

Anywho, the Riddler had me frequently cracking up during the session. I had to collect a speech/language sample so I had him describe pictures. Mind you, I have never read this book so I had no clue what the story was about nor what to expect each time he flipped a page.

For this black and white picture, he said, "Someone's coming out, holding a basket of bread."

Then he flipped the page and saw the colored picture. Without hesitation, the Riddler said, "but really? They're chickens."

HAHA! Well, maybe you had to be there to find it funny. When I re-enacted it to my fellow clinicians and Uncles Bren, they got a good laugh. Heck, I'm still laughing about it.

Anywho, I have some bumming news. I got my first "W." I dropped my intro to piano class. :( It was a sad decision but there were too many factors not in my favor (or maybe I just have bad time management skills). The good news that came out of my withdrawal process is Dr. F confirming that W's are fine on the transcript (as long as I don't have many), they are speaking to the Financial Aid office about my not receiving loans since Winter quarter (!!), and she will complete my graudate assistantship application by writing a letter of recommendation for me.

Actually, I will complete the process by bringing my social security card to an admin office for "security" purposes and verification. I hope they don't laugh; my SS card has my seven year-old signature...when ending my amateur cursive signature with a heart was really cute two decades ago. The alternative is to bring my passport. Unfortunately, I have no clue where that is. Normally, Gramma holds onto it for me. When I asked about it a few weeks ago, both Dad and Gramma have no clue where it is. Shoot.

Happy news #1: BSILF surprised me with a birthday gift today! I couldn't be happier about what she gave me! A beautiful book about sea turtles! Thank you BSILF! Hm, I wonder if I can incorporate it into my clinic sessions (so I can get some leisure reading time in -- muhahaha). You know, target auditory comprehension or something. ;)

Happy news #2: I also received a beautiful light blue shawl from our resident COMD baker! It is fabulous!

Other news: I'm finally caught up with my post-posts about Vegas! I also added pictures to my Vegas posts! :D (Photo challenge: see if you can make out the sea turtle pictures.) Imagine what I'd do if I really owned a digicam!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monday marks the beginning of week THREE - yay! Only seven more weeks to go until break! :)

I know you are going to figure out the Riddler (nice name!)and be able to help him!

Yay - you like the book! I hope it is as enjoyable to you as the reviewers thought it was for them. Now maybe you can start announcing little turtle tidbits to BF occassionally, with your questions!

Sorry about the make-up, but way to go being mature about it.

And - they will not take your passport - they want the social security card. I don't understand why since legally the passport is an accepted form of ID for the I-9, but I think it is some new homeland security thing.

But seriously find your passport, what if someone says, "Would you like to take a quick trip to Paris?" You want to be ready for that! :)

Chanel said...

Good point about Paris!

I just rummaged through Gramma's drawers (hope she doesn't find out) in search of my passport...like you said, just in case I suddenly win a sweepstakes and have to hop on the next plain to Paris or Italy. ;)