Monday, August 13, 2007

Welcome home, FBIL

FBIL came home on August 9th! :)

FBIL has been in Ghana for a little over a month. Amongst other things, I've missed a month of, "Hi Mei! (Here's your brother...)" phone greetings. I am glad and relieved that he is back (for his sake and my bro's sake) because I can only imagine all the things he has experienced. Every e-mail update I've been fortunate to receive from him has made me weep. He wrote about the poverty, the violence, the social outcasts (due to physical illnesses) they counseled everyday, and the love and appreciation received from the professionals and clients. I am always in awe and admiration of people like FBIL who do the things that I want to do...but lack the courage to do.

FBIL brought home a gift for me, too. He said, "I know you don't cook much...so maybe you can wear this when you are cleaning your turtle's tank or playing with her." The "history" behind this apron is that FBIL visited an area where a young, retired prostitute sold her products to make a new living. This apron was made and decorated with tie-dye turtles by her. :) Even though I am cooking more often, I don't intend to use it. It is too special.

P.S. We went out for Pinkberry afterwards and I had the shaved ice for the first time. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on being done!! WAHOOOO!!

Chanel said...

Yay! 1st comment from YGC!

Thank you. :)