Sunday, August 05, 2007

Conversations

Today, our residence had a potluck in the courtyard. I thought it was a great idea since BF & I have been living here for 3 years, and we only know about 5 residents. Bro came over to teach me how to make empanadas; we went wild and added cheese to two (which BF & I briefly consumed). I also made Cocoa Krispies treats, which were a total hit. Ha! :) BF & I met a few residents and got to know several a little better.

It made me think of how people can always find something in common to talk about (granted people have decent conversation skills). That realization came about because I read a forum post yesterday, about a male SLP grad student feeling depressed since he feels isolated and has nothing in common to talk about with his female classmates (except SLP-related stuff). I feel bad for the guy b/c I think about how much I love hanging out with my classmates. We always have so much to talk about and only 10% or less is SLP-related. Maybe it's b/c girls have 10x more things to talk about?

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

Semi-random tangent: I think I'm a decent conversationalist. It's actually really hard for me to NOT continue a chat, but I'm getting better at it. I.e., I HATE when people talk to me when I'm at the gym. Today, I was on the treadmill when a dude tapped me and said, "Do you also work out at the Spectrum?" What I wanted to say a-la-Cherelle was, "Why in the world would I have TWO gym memberships? That's ridiculous!" And more importantly, "Can't a woman sweat in solitude?!" What Cheryl said was, "No." Younger/Airheaded Cheryl woulda continued on, "Which Spectrum are you referring to?" but more mature Cheryl actually stayed silent. "I coulda sworn that I've seen you at the Spectrum." No, man, I've never seen you in my life. "Well, what are you working on today?" "Cardio." "Hm, lemme give you my card. You're not working on anything else today?" "No. I'm leaving in 3 minutes." I can and can't believe I actually said that. That was awesome (yes, I'm giving myself props). He fiddled around looking for his card (supposedly) and then said, "I'm just gonna go get my card; I'll be right back." At least I kept my word...and left exactly 3 minutes later as planned.

Seriously though -- if someone tells me one thing, I could carry on a whole conversation based on the one content word or words said.

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

So bro was still over when BF came home from paintballing (he got shot in the head, which made me all anti-TBI neurotic!). Bro left shortly after for his fundraising event, and we went down for a few hours to shoot the breeze. Unfortunately, BF retreated a little earlier since he wasn't feeling so great.

Then he made me go on a Wendy's run. I was so embarrassed so when I got into the garage, I emptied my bowling bag and put the goods inside, just in case I ran into any of the potluck attendees (sometimes, my dorkyness astounds me). Well worth it, though, b/c I got a large chocolate Frosty (which I promptly snarfed down) and a small Vanilla Frosty (we shared that one) (my reward for doing a Wendy's run).

This ice-cream binge is getting out of hand. OMG, I wonder if I'll get my ice-cream fixes when we're in China. Or do they have shaved ice?

No comments: