Sunday, August 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, Gramma!

This year, we celebrated on Gramma Pearl's "real," "American" birthday. :)

...which totally threw me in for a loop. We typically celebrate Ama's Chinese birthday (where she is a year older than her American-self) so when BF asked me how old gramma is turning, I did the math and got all confused.

Earlier in the day, I thought I had completely forgotten what year Gramma was born in. I could have sworn she was born in 1926, so wouldn't she be turning 81? But, we did NOT just celebrate her 80th birthday last year. (Defying Asian stereotypes, I know my Math is bad, but is it as bad as my memory?) So I started doubting myself, thinking maybe she was born in 1924. After discussing with my bro (who confirmed Ama was born in '26), we remembered that last year, we celebrated her 81st Chinese birthday (or 80th American birthday) at the restaurant where I was set-up by my family with a dorky guy.*

*I am sparing the mortifying details, but let's just say that that day also included my first and only car accident (and FBIL blew out his transmission, as him and my bro jammed over to meet me).

We celebrated Gramma Pearl's birthday at Manna in K-town. All the SM and PV relatives showed up as well as Lawyer cousin and *new* laywer BF (first time meeting him) and Pastor Aunty. Although some may beg to differ, I thought it was a great place with great food and accommodations (except for the lack of A/C and fly control).

This is my favorite pix of the day b/c:
  1. Gramma purposely posed with pink bubbly in mid-action.
  2. Modelesque Cousin has a great pose, too, doing what "she does best," according to a cousin stand-by/commentator.
  3. (Best reason) My dad jumped in at the last second w/ a goofy smile. He never smiles like that, much more hijack a picture! That is awesome. :)
Happy 82nd birthday, Ama! Happy 81st birthday Gramma Pearl!

No comments: