Friday, February 01, 2008

Security!

Despite the ridonkulously crazy schedule that I set for myself today, I was really proud of myself for finally sticking to my schedule, in addition to fitting in testing and 2 make-up therapy sessions. Shoot, I was in the autism classroom even before they got off the bus -- that's how on top of it I was!

First, I worked with 320J for his usual morning session. I was really happy b/c he did exceptionally well (and his behaviors were barely a challenge today!). He even followed my point to his classmate across the room (joint attention) and greeted his classmate with minimal verbal prompts! I was thrilled!

Next, I worked with the highest functioning of the 320s. I got lucky b/c when I worked with 320M, the 320 psychologist brought a parent over for a transition interview (I will get the incoming sixth grader next year) so the Mom got to see a little bit of how "normal" therapy can go. Unbeknownst to them all, I am also lucky b/c I happen to remember this kid from when I observed one of my mentors a few months ago; this kiddo will be the highest functioning if he does transition into this classroom next year.

Snack time was next so I worked on picture exchange with 320P, my nonverbal kiddo. He cracks all of us up. I love working with him at snack because it's so fascinating to see his idiosyncrasies (well, all of theirs for this matter).I.e., he loves mini-Oreos...but he takes them apart, licks the cream, and discards the cookies. He nibbles Chips Ahoy cookies just to get the chocolate chips and refuses to eat the cookie. I asked Mom to start packing him gummies b/c he is always stealing 320J's so today, he had a bag of gummy bears. He gave me the symbol card, but I quickly learned that he only likes the white gummies (I don't blame him -- the white ones are my favorite too!). Some of the gummies had melted together so there was a big blob of 2 white and 1 red gummy bear. He nibbled the red off, spat it out, and ate the white. Ha! Hey, we're all selective eaters to some extent, right?

I rushed back to check in with my grad student and to harass one of my kids to bring back her IEP invite and then I went back to see my last 320, the busy hands one. Rewind: I had an absolutely disastrous session yesterday for all sorts of reasons (excuses). I typically see this one before lunch b/c food is his big reward/motivator. Yesterday was all jacked up b/c the NPA Behavior Therapist declared the day before that he was coming in a 2-hour window to observe me and That Crazy Lady. So we saw 320N right after snack, when he conveniently loaded up on sugar. In retrospect, I don't feel like a complete failure b/c the NPA BT couldn't even manage 320N's behaviors. I am just bothered by the idea that this mofo might go back to Mom and narc that I am completely clueless on gaining control of the session (which is extremely likely -- long story). I'm sure it didn't help that I completely grilled him beforehand (in as sweet a way as I could) about all that ABA stuff. I mean, he's supposed to be the autism behavior therapist consultant...yet I could tell that his type is why I am fortunate enough to get my BCBA tuition reimbursed through the SELPA.

Anywho, so I saw 320N again today. We were doing SOOO well for the first 20 minutes. He tried to grope me a lot but we got past it each time. Then he got up and ran to the door. That's always potential drama. I stood up, took a few steps, and did the prompting hierarchy to get him to sit down. We worked a minute, and then he bolted for the door again. I started the same procedure...when he flung the door open and took off running. I freaked out! I looked towards the other room, where everyone else was, but knew that if I opened the door to scream for help, 320N could be anywhere on campus by that time. So I ran out and saw him around the corner, about halfway down the corridor. He saw me walking towards him so he ran off again, stopped, turned around, and shrieked with excitement. I knew that if I ran, he would sprint, so I kept calmly walking towards him.

It's like the movies when a negotiator has to calmly approach a suicidal person about to jump off the ledge, "Don't come any closer or I'll jump!"

He took off running anyways and I panicked some more b/c it was lunchtime so half of the campus was at lunch while the other half were in their classrooms while this kid was running down the hall loudly shrieking. The second he turned his back, I sprinted towards him and firmly grabbed his wrists. The problem is that I am never strong enough to keep the grasp so he got loose and ran off again. I caught up and he pulled me to the corridor hall. I think he sat down in defiance...which was to my benefit. I quickly kneeled on his feet and held his wrists down so that he couldn't get up nor move.

I'm sure God was laughing and then decided it was time to intervene...but still wanted some comic relief b/c then my most clueless student comes walking towards me, "Hi Ms. L____." I cannot emphasize how clueless and forgetful this baby is. I swear I almost keeled over from shock when he remembered and said my name just a few weeks ago! I said in as calm a tone as I could, "B___, I need you to help me. Please go to Room 44 and tell the teacher, Ms. J, that Ms. L___ needs help. Tell her that I'm here." So he's about to take off when he asks, "You mean the room next to Ms. P__?" (His teacher's.) I'm like, Crap! Way to confuse this confused boy! "No! I mean, room 39 or 41!" Crap, why tell him both room numbers! That's too many things for this boy to remember! Sometimes, he evidences the short-term memory of a goldfish. (His teacher and the psych will attest to this.) "Go to Room 39 or 41 and tell the teacher to come help me please!" "Okay!" and runs off in the wrong direction! (LOL) "B___, the other way! It's the last classroom on the other end of this hall!" I was so sure that he wouldn't be able to follow this complex instruction embedded with clauses and was already looking around, trying to devise a Plan B. He runs off and I calmly talk to 320N. He keeps shrieking and struggling to get up while I continue to freak out.

Not a few minutes later, I see his 1:1 coming from one direction and TCL coming from the other direction (Starsky & Hutch style, she likes to call it)...and 3 campus security guards getting nearer, yelling into their walkie-talkies, "Situation is under control!" I was mortified but relieved. The aide and TCL took over and I kept looking at B___, with his big droopy eyes, and I just about jumped up to hug him. Before I could, I turned around and saw 320N sprinting away, but TCL got him and we all went back to the classroom.

During the debriefing, the aides that were still in the classroom re-told how adorable little B___ came into the classroom, out of breath, garbly (like he usually is) and trying so hard to relay my message. Mind you, this kid is diagnosed with mental retardation, language disorder, dyslexia, and recently Autistic Spectrum Disorder and so it was like telegraphic speech, "Ms. L___; she's over there...and there's a boy, and she needs help." LOL Fortunately, TCL is quick on the uptake and knew right away that 320N and I were not in the room next door any more. Not to mention, she told me this morning that this same type of incident happened just a few days ago.

When we finally settled down, I was completely wiped out. 320N's aide attested that he has really been acting up this past week so don't feel bad. We talked about B__, and I emphasized how I was so proud of him for being able to follow through!! TCL was, too, so she went over to his teacher to tell him, in hopes that she would reward him. I later went over to see some of her other kids and told her again how grateful and proud I was of B___. Sadly, she was too annoyed by him to appreciate the situation. Poor baby. I am totally going to acknowledge him next week. Seriously, if you knew this kid, you would totally appreciate what he did...much more, his ability to follow through!

Goes to show that these kiddos will continue to surprise us in the ways that we least expect it.

As mentioned, I am wiped out. I don't know how I managed to get through the rest of the day, but I did. I should have a drink or something, but it would be wiser for me to read and study my textbook... :(

Thank goodness I have two three-day President's Day weekends coming up. I certainly need it!

No comments: