Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mommy!


(The title was meant to be said in a J320 way; he often enthusiastically says, "Mommy!" when I show him a picture of his mom.)
Tonight, Bro and I visited Mom at Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights. Thanks to our summer trip to China, I was actually really looking forward to seeing the temple in its Chinese New Year decor. When we got there, we walked around and took a few pictures before we found Mom in a room.
Mom was seated behind a desk talking to visitors who had patiently waited in line for the next available monk. It wasn't long before Bro and I sat down, and I immediately subtly horded my favorite Chinese "lucky" candy. We also gave Mom a traditional red envelope. In return, she gave Bro and I each a charm. My charm has four Chinese characters translating into: "Prosperous Future Generations":
"With virtue, you will be respected. With achievements, you will be adored. With magnanimity, you will be acclaimed. With tolerance, you will be followed." Dharma Thoughts of Master Hsing Yun

Bro got a charm with characters translating into "Harmonious Conditions in All." Mom explained that the people she spoke to were sent from somewhere else, after they received a book on teachings, to ask Mom and the other monks any questions they may have and to hear them impart their wisdom and knowledge of dharma. It was very awe-inspiring...and also funny how Mom commented on the side afterwards about all of this.
After a few minutes of catching up, she quickly got up and told the neighboring monk that she was going to show "these two" around (I don't think the other monk knew that we are her kids). When we walked outside, she said, "boy, sometimes these visitors are really difficult to talk to! They come to me like I'm a fortune teller and keep asking question after question! I can share with them Buddha's teachings but I can't tell them their future!" LOL

Bro commented to her how her lifestyle is similar to that of a therapist; people come to her for guidance and clarity. (Bro has been running with this idea of how many religious leaders are like therapists, including my Minister Aunty.) Anywho, Mom shared about how she helps people understand and share Buddhism...and likened it to how I help people understand and communicate the understanding. That was kind of neat...because all along, I wasn't quite sure if she understood what I do for a living.

We walked around some more and took more pictures. Mom seemed really happy to back in L.A. She laughed and joked with us a lot during the hour that we spent with her. It was really wonderful to see her and spend time with her. We left promising that we would visit again soon.

Afterwards, Bro and I stopped by the Chinese supermarket down the way and then ate at Dumpling Master. Much to our surprise, it was definitely better than we expected (and it had an "A" rating!).

No comments: