Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mom is back!

My Mom is back in Los Angeles!

A few weeks ago, Mom spoke to my brother and e-mailed us her plane itinerary. My bro said to her, "Mom, it's only a one-way ticket...Does that mean you're moving back??" She said, "Well, actually...I'm not sure. I won't know until I get back to LA."

When I heard the news, I was like, holy snikeys! What a surprise! (If she does indeed move back.) Actually, my mind was racing -- what will it be like? What does it mean? How will things be?

When I was in my 2nd year of college, Mom called me at UCSD and said she was permanently moving to Texas. It was quite a shock. I think my bro and I did get to say good-bye, but under very strange and emotional circumstances. It has been 7-8 years since Mom moved to Texas.

I just called her and was so happy to hear her. She sounded really good. The first thing she asked me was, "Are you happy that I'm back?" I said, "Of course I'm happy." Then it donned on me that she was asking, Are you happy that I'm back for good? Yeah! I asked, "Are you excited to be back?" She laughed and said, "I'm not a kid; I'm old -- I don't get "excited" about things. But I am definitely happy to be back."

I am definitely happy for her, too. She never really said it was a bad thing (i.e., miserable) to be in Texas, but just now, she said, it is better for her to be back for health reasons, which I certainly agree. She said the weather is nicer and she can exercise more by walking around the temple. I think, too, that (God forbid) if her health condition gets more serious, at least there is much more accessible medical intervention and she is just a drive away.

It is nice for her to be back.

I liken it to how my Gramma and my relationship is. Gramma and I don't talk much (and I've come to accept this oddity) but just my mere presence is comforting and securing. Despite my mom and I rarely talking and seeing each other, it is comforting to know that Mom is in the same county (vs. half a nation away).

No comments: