Saturday, February 09, 2008

Something Normal for Myself

I did a normal person thing today!

I left Bro a voicemail last night saying that if he and FBIL go for their usual beach walk, to please call me so that I can join them. He didn't call back so I decided that I, being a big girl, could do it on my own. So I headed out.

I started at North Venice Ave. and then walked ALL the way to Santa Monica and back! It was refreshing and nice (albeit warm and sunny). I must have seen at least 25 dogs and wanted to pet every single one. I also saw a bunch of babies and kiddos enjoying a ride or walk. When I was about 15 minutes away from finishing, BGF called so we caught up for a little bit. Turns out she was taking her second to the last car-full of stuff. Her and Hubby finally moved into their new home! Woo-hoo!

When I was halfway home, Bro called and asked where I was. I said that I had just finished the walk. They did, too! However, they started at Santa Monica and walked all the way to Venice Ave. before turning back. How in the world did we miss each other -- twice?! Boo!

Regardless, it was really relaxing and refreshing to get out for a walk at the beach. I even got a teeny tan along my neck area and arms (the only areas that I care to tan and that will actually tan). I came home and relaxed some more before meeting up with Bro for a Costco run. After that, I was so sleepy (as usual) so I crawled into bed and took a nap.

What a normal-person day. :) Too bad I have to transition into a normal-student night, but I need to read a chapter on constructing and interpreting graphic displays of behavioral data.

Update on Big Kid School: it's still time-consuming but going well. After some of my classmates voiced formal complaints, the course got even easier -- we will now know verbatim what questions are on the weekly quizzes. This is outrageous and ridonkulous! Not that I am really complaining about this course being easier, but knowing exactly which multiple choice questions (and answers) have a chance of being on the quiz gives me more reason to slack off on the already monumental reading. I already have quite a battle with my own will and diligence.

I also wonder what's going to happen the remaining four quarters, when we get new instructors...and possibly more difficult exams and (Excel) assignments. =X On the real, if my SLP grad program was like this, then all the Special Ed kids that I serve would really be screwed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - imagine this conversation:
One of Us: Umm, so Dr. K., we need you to start telling us exactly what questions will be on your exams.
Dr. K.: Oh, most certainly. That is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that earlier in my teaching career?

Okay, now this is how that would really go:

One of Us: Umm, so Dr. K., we need you to start telling us exactly what questions will be on your exams.
Dr. K.: Okay, so here is the paperwork that officially kicks you out of this program.

In the short term getting the exam questions and answers does make school easier. And in all honesty, I would like it. But I would know in my heart that it is totally ridiculous! Man, your co-students pale in comparison, huh????

Chanel said...

You said what's been running through my mind from the get-go!

(Again, not to take my complaint to the next level...) Every session, our instructor reminds us that "we are in the business of building behavioral repertoire" -- then why are they enabling us? (Or my co-students enabling each other)?

I am conflicted about whether/when I should express that my ultimate concern is that we "won't know exactly which questions" are on the national exam...

Call me crazy but I think passing the National Exam is a lot more important than getting 10s on the weekly quizzes.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree! No way the national people are going to send you the questions with the study packet. I am astounded by your co-students. I guess you could just send a secret note to the teacher, but they would probably know it was you since you are obviously the most dedicated, intelligent, hard workingest, best student in the cohort!