Thursday, February 14, 2008

This is so Ironic!

My "not programmed to lose boy" drew me another picture today. His drawings are quite vivid and imaginative. I'll post them as soon as I remember to take pictures.

Anywho, I thought about him earlier this morning when I worked with J320 because Programmed Boy also randomly laughs and says really loudly, "This is so ironic!" all the time.

Random: Secretly, I think it is interesting that his language appears to be above average when compared to his SDC peers (I assess him for his tri in a few weeks), but if anything, I really need to work on pragmatics with him.

Anywho, the soOoo ironic part about this morning was when I went to with J320 this AM. It was a little unplanned so that was already not in my favor. I was originally scheduled to see N320, but he was having one of his "bipolar breakdowns," crying up a storm, repeating, "it's raining." (I originally thought it was mean for That Crazy Lady to say N320 was having a "bipolar episode" whenever he started crying like that, but tonight, I saw a commercial for a medication for Bipolar Disorder...which he just happens to be on and his dosage was recently increased.) Anywho, since N320 was in his rainy day mode, I cashed in on the opportunity to work with J320.

I've been so pleased with how J320's been doing these couple of weeks. This AM, however, he seemed a little feisty...possibly in part because his great 1:1 was MIA again (and I waltzed in at an irregular time). So when I approached him, he was lazily laying on the bean bag (which is never a good thing for me, based on past traumatic experiences). So I gave him my usual transitional verbal prompt and visual cue.

Well, he had been laying there stimming (or as ABAs would say, engaging in automatic reinforcements), and he ironically whacks me while simultaneously saying/echoing, "No hitting!"

I can't remember if I chuckled at the irony, but I remember thinking, For crying out loud, how in the world do I respond to that?!

I guess that was more of a rhetorical question b/c I know that I need to just ignore (not draw attention to it therefore reinforce the behavior), which I think I did...but it's always like this -- after the first hit, I'm traumatized for the rest of the session.

I also ran out real quick for a lasik eye surgery follow-up appointment mid-day. Left eye is between 20/30 and 20/40...and borderline eligible for an enhancement procedure. Not sure if I should be thrilled about that. I need to wait to see if my vision will stabilize some more (hopefully at 20/20) and go back in 4 months for another check-up. I told BF that if I get the lifetime warranty insurance, I would only want to get it in my left eye. I totally should've done that! Would have saved myself $150. =P Of course that would have sucked if I got insurance on the wrong eye...

No comments: