Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Saturn and the Moon Get Together and Mac

I am again proud of my kiddos. Today, CV came in asking about the lunar eclipse taking place right now. It was perfect timing b/c I was just thinking that I'd wing therapy and have them give me a topic to look up on the internet so that we can read, discuss, and "respond to Wh-questions related to curriculum with no more than one verbal prompt." I was so pleased with how interested they were about the eclipse, especially since DA had no idea what an eclipse was. DA even asked to take the Fox 11 news article home so he could share with his youngest sister and CV asked to take the wikipedia article about lunar eclipses to share with his homeroom!

The best thing to me is that I didn't even know about this spectacular event until CV came in and told us! The next best and somewhat sad thing is that the next time a lunar eclipse takes place will be on DA's birthday in two years, when he will have left me and gone onto his first year of high school. My kids haven't even left yet, and I'm already anticipating separation anxiety!

On the subject of "my kids," those two saw my Matt & Molly materials and asked me what they are for. I reminded them that I work with "other students with a severe disability" in the classroom next door to the class I always call them out from. CV said, "Oh yeah, those are your other kids!" Haha. :) They sure are!

I was even more pleased b/c these goofballs got all serious talking about disabilities. Turns out CV has a cousin that is Deaf. I seriously thought he was going to sign some bad words since they like to get all ghetto and crazy around me, but he actually signed a few basic conversational signs (like his cousin's name).

All in all, it was really cool to see them interested in something and serious about serious topics.

Well, aside from when CV re-defined what will happen during the lunar eclipse tonight -- "It's when Saturn and the Moon get together and mac and then dump each other and move on!"

No comments: