Friday, February 08, 2008

My Beautiful Granite Blue Baby Elsa

"Please bring up #280, a gray Passat..."

Why does every VW dealership think that my car is gray?! It's Granite blue! My VW rep must've caught my telepathic vibe b/c then he corrected himself and said, "uh, blue passat" over the walkie-talkie. I can't blame him; my poor Elsa is always so dirty that she appears gray. Kind of like when I drove my gramma's white Volvo...it was always so dirty that BF seriously thought the true color was an off-white/beige until he washed it one day and unearthed the snow white. That was an embarrassing (and funny) moment.

Today, I brought Elsa to the dealership again to fix another thing. Last month, I made an appointment to get my compass back. A week later, my driver's side vanity mirror light went out. I thought I could live without it, but after about 10 times of wanting to check if I had anything in my eyes (and teeth) in the dark, it was time to bring Elsa back.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an ongoing theme -- whenever I think it's a simple issue to fix, it's not. With the compass, they had to try a few things before doing the last resort of unplugging my battery, doing a magical thing, and then reconnecting to re-boot the entire system. For my mirror, I thought it was as easy as changing a bulb. The rep must have exercised his telepathy again b/c he immediately said, "You would think it's as easy as changing a bulb but it's really complicated; we actually have to replace the whole visor b/c of the way it bulb is wired."

After waiting 1.5 hours, the rep came back and said that it is actually the wiring that has come loose...and in order to fix it, they have to pull back a third of my roof! It wasn't something that could be done in 1.5 hours so I have to bring Elsa back next week. And now I am completely missing a visor! My driver's side comfort zone feels slightly naked. :(

I bet vanity mirror lighting wiring was not one of the 120 features. Either way, I still love my car. I just wish she didn't attract so much sea gull crap at work. A big part of why I don't mind bringing her back next week is b/c I know by then, she'll need another car wash...

No comments: