Wednesday, January 09, 2008

First Week Back at Work in Review

It almost feels like I didn't have a two-week vacation. =P My week in review:

Last weekend
I rested my eyes...and got bored. I didn't realize how addicted I am to the internet until I was off-laptop-limits for at least 72 hours.

Monday
First day back at work and uncharacteristically, I took my time getting to work and arrived around 7:20 AM. Later on, I found out that a few RSP and SDC teachers started freaking out when they didn't see my door open before 7. That cracked me up. Monday quickly got dramatically heartbreaking when one of my angels broke down crying about her current situation. In short, Mom told baby girl that she doesn't even "like" her. How does a mother tell her own child that she doesn't love...much less like...her own? It nearly broke my and CJ's heart. I'm not much of a counselor, but I wasn't about to just send her off back to class so I tried to comfort her. Hopefully, I did more good than damage. In the process, it made me reflect once more about how fortunate I am to have a big brother who has always been there for me. We have been through a lot in life together which is why I believe we continue to be best of friends.

Tuesday
I attended a triennial for one of my kiddos. A little background: I see this kiddo 1:1...and I really enjoy working with him. He asks great questions, carries on a great conversation, and puts in a good effort (he is in only for artic). What throws me off is when I see him during passing periods; he is always alone. He is one of the few that often pops in to ask when I will call for him again. Fast forward to present: I had the biggest shocker when the psych reported to his mom about his anger management problems. Mom broke down crying and shared how he is so angry at home and lonely at school. He barely speaks to his Mom at home and gets into physical fights with his sisters. I felt guilty knowing that he often talks to me (mostly about typical junior high kid stuff -- cell phones, video game consoles, etc.)...when he doesn't communicate (much/effectively) with his family. Perhaps that's a typical middle school phase that I've forgotten about? He always asks what I did (holiday, weekends, etc.). I'm not quite sure what to think about all that. More than anything, it is an eye-opening reminder that kids often need someone completely detached from them to talk to (even if it's about impersonal topics) and to cry to...or look for when they're hungry.

...I saw two other boys that I like working with. It's always comedy with them. I asked one to open up a blister package for me while I set up for them. It took him forever and when he finished, he asked, "So are we going to play this game or what? How do you win?" I abruptly stopped explaining when I heard him mumble, "Well, maybe if you didn't talk so much we could finally get started." What?! In an ever-so-mature tone, I quipped, "Well, maybe if you didn't take 20 minutes opening up that package, we could be done by now!" Afterwards, the other one tried to bribe me to go to Taco Bell for him! They left after snarfing down one of my bananas.

Tuesday afternoon, I went to the first class of the BCBA program. The idea is very exciting, but the actual content is not yet. During the introductions and campaign talking, the administrators also informed us that this cohort will have more rigorous assignments and expectations from the International Board. It's not exactly the news I want to hear, but I guess I am not surprised considering this is a relatively new, up-and-coming field. I am reading about all this scientific theory and it is some heavy, thick, circular stuff. It took me like 3 days and at least 20 attempts to get through a research article. Fortunately, I found out it's not just me...

When I got home, I received yet another fabulous belated Christmas gift. Wrapped up in "fake" turtle wrapping paper was an iPhone!! Best cell phone EVER! What is the best feature yet? Endless internet, said the internet junkie with the best BF ever!

Wednesday
BF and I have been extra careful about my eye recovery. This is love -- BF washed my hair!

Thursday
I have been so relaxed about going to work that it's not even funny. I rarely ever iron my shirts...so it was especially uncharacteristic of me to iron a shirt in the morning before work! Not sure what possessed me but I really wanted to wear a collared shirt despite not having any meetings.

I took Elsa in for some service after work. Evidently, two weeks ago, my compass disappeared off of my MFD. I have been soOOoOOo lost without it. I swear I am the only person who can still get lost despite using both a compass AND a GPS (my Garmin Nuvia). (Yes, I give female names to objects.) On Tuesday, my wiper fluid light went off and then yesterday, my low tire pressure gauge light went off. What a perfect time to bring Elsa in...! I waited at the dealership and tried to read some more of my text, but only got through like 2 pages in 1.5 hours.

Friday
It has been a long, full week. Going back to work at the start of the new year has been interesting. As mentioned, I've been much more relaxed about work this week. I also feel that I have been a lot more confident this week with my students, especially the 320s.

Perhaps a little too relaxed considering I have hours of reading ahead of me for the weekend...

And that's a wrap!

No comments: