Monday, January 28, 2008

Crazies

I know I'm crazy, but I don't think I'm seriously crazy-crazy.

I really think that at every workplace, there is at least one Crazy-crazy. Where I work, That Crazy Lady (TCL) is always introducing crazy hypotheses -- but when she talks, she sounds like she is sharing The Truth or talking about scientifically-proven theories.

Today's crazy antic from TCL is that JB's 1:1 is a meth addict. How in the world did she conclude that based on his absences? I just went along (e.g., eyes got big, incredulous, "really?!" followed by a lame remark of "well, you better watch your wallet.")


I remember when I was in junior high, the thing that ended my long-time best friendship was b/c she always stole my ideas and claimed that they were her own. I feel bad about that now...

Back to TCL -- she is also one of those crazies that takes the knowledge that someone imparted to her and throws it back at a person as if she was the first to learn it and then she shares it with you like you're an idiot. A few weeks ago, I explained to TCL that individuals with autism often see/think without the Gestalt effect (pieces do not form wholes; wholes are wholes, pieces are pieces) and she was absolutely mesmerized by 1) I used a big term and 2) the concept. I.e., JB eats oranges -- including rinds. One day, I de-rinded an orange slice and handed it to him. He looked at it like I had handed him something completely foreign and inedible, and he threw the orange wedge aside, grabbed an orange slice with rind, and popped it in his mouth like he typically does.

Today during his lunch, I started to de-rind his tangerine to see what would happen. He still requested for his tangerine (with a verbal prompt), but TCL said to me matter-of-factly, "Don't take the rind off. He won't eat it. He won't recognize it as an orange b/c they see things in wholes..." I'm like, okay, hello, I was the one that told you that! In my defense, JB actually de-rinded the tangerine and ate the pulp wedges...and then ate the rind separately (overanalyzing: perhaps it's b/c it was a tangerine and not an orange?).

She did that before when she stole her nemesis' knowledge that JB will run and wrap himself in a nasty bed sheet for a sensory break (block out visual stimuli and get a tactile stimulation). The crazy thing is that her nemesis had told me that a few weeks before, but TCL says to me one day, "I figured out why he runs off and wraps himself up! He's overstimulated and needs something to calm him!"

That is crazy talk. Is it bad that I do my best to stay on her good side b/c I don't want to deal with melodramatic craziness? The last thing I want is for her to spread the word that I'm a drug addict, too.

No comments: