Friday, January 04, 2008

Countdown to Cosmetic Surgery

Okay, so it's cosmetic surgery in its technical sense. I don't NEED perfect vision, but I WANT it. So bad. I've wanted it for a couple years now and at some point early on in my graduate studies, I vowed that once I finished school and paid off loans, I'd get lasik surgery.

Plans kind of got jumbled but in a good way. Last November, BF said, "Hey, if you want it so bad, why don't you do it already?" Then early in December, he said, "Giving you new eyes will be your Christmas gift." That kind of laid the pressure on me to pay off school loans (but not really), so around mid-December, I sent a huge payment. It was a little anticlimactic (otherwise, I would have blogged about it the day of); it was either I put a big payment on Elsa or school loans and since the interest on my school loans was almost twice as high as Elsa, it was an easy decision...that is, after I consulted my personal financial adviser (a.k.a. Bro) for validation.

So tomorrow is the big day! A walk down memory lane:
  • As a Freshman in HS, I realize I need to get my eyes checked. Optometrist reports that my eyes are -.50 (R) and -1.75. Ama and the saleslady pick out a very pink frame to "match" my rosy cheeks. I absolutely HATED them so much that I refused to wear them in the hallways. I sat at the back of class so that nobody saw me with them. Looking back, I can't believe I even wore those huge pink things IN class.
  • Junior year in HS, I was fortunate to get contacts. I think then it was -.75 and -2.25.
  • In college, I thought I was stylin' with my pair of gold Armani frames. What was I thinking? I don't even like to wear gold jewelry! I think I had enough sense to not wear them in public. The tiny spectacles didn't compliment my round face very well at all.
  • Post-college/first time with vision insurance, I get a classy pair of frameless glasses. :) I think they're like -1.75 and -4.50. Dude, I really think the doctor lied to me, though. I paid for thin lens and when I got them, I asked with disbelief, "Are these the thin lens?" He said, indeed they are. Then why is it that whenever I wear these glasses out in public, I get people saying, "DAMN! That [left] lens is thick!" Needless to say, I didn't wear these out very often, either.
Come to think of it, I can't believe I've only owned three pairs of glasses in my ~15 years of imperfect vision (and that I still have them). When we came home from our New Year's Eve celebration, I took my contacts out and then pranced (albeit a little tipsy) over to BF and exclaimed, "I just wore contacts for the last time!"

Since then, I've been wearing my not-so-thin-glasses in preparation for my operation tomorrow. I'm quite excited about it...(despite it marking the last weekend before work and school begins!).

Please pray that there are no complications...and that I don't come out with crusty eyes like Homer Simpson!

No comments: