Friday, March 02, 2007

Turtle Rescue

On occasion, I read on turtle forums how people rescue turtles. People either find them on the roadside or become foster parents who nurse turtles back to health.

Although I will never have the delightful opportunity of seeing a turtle on the roadside here on the Westside, I did rescue a turtle today!

After my lovely enzymatic facial from Peponi (last one in my b-day gift package -- it was so good while it lasted!), I went next door to the pet store to visit the turtles. Last Friday when I found the area where the turtles were, I snuck a paparazzi shot w/ my camera phone and captured a photo of 12 turtles stacked and basking! Today, I went back and saw 13! It's amazing to see that many basking and stacked on each other. They are like natural yoga masters and gymnists. However, my pseudo-paparazzi personality didn't come to the forefront because I was too preoccupied with one of the turtles.

I noticed that there was a juvenile wedged completely vertical between the large basking rock (that had the 13 turtles) and the side of the aquarium. I was certain it was stuck because I had stared at it for 5 minutes, peeked under and over it (as much as I could see), and a bigger turtle climbed onto the log and totally "palmed" the helpless turtle's face in the process, oblivious to his helpless brethren.

I finally went to tell an employee, I think there is a turtle stuck. He said, "let's see" and grabbed a net and pushed the turtle gently at first. Then he pushed with so much force that the turtle went "tumbling" hard in the water. At last, it was free! I saved a turtle!

True, I did not "rescue" a turtle by the typical definition. I wish I could have. All of them looked really sick by the looks of their shells. :(

I told BF that I rescued a turtle, but not in the real sense -- but I am still proud of saving one. :) When I got home, he said, "well, we did rescue that one." Oh, Lil F, how we love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look at you, you turtle saver! Seriously, you helped an innocent little creature and that is a good thing!