Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Perspectives

On February 1, my awesome Doctor Cousin flew out to Africa. After 2.5 days of traveling, she made it to Uganda, where she will be until March 24th. Every e-mail we get from her really puts things into perspective.

A little background on Doctor Cousin. There are very few people who know exactly what they want to do when they're less than 10 years old. Ever since I could remember, Doctor Cousin has always wanted to be a doctor. I have never heard her once consider any other career. The day she graduated from med school, our family couldn't've been prouder. (My dad, gramma, bro, and I attended her special graduation.) Doctor Cousin has always been a very strong, independent, intelligent, and compassionate woman. So, it didn't surprise us when she told us that she would travel to Uganda to complete 2 months of her residency.

She recently sent an e-mail to us, that really put things in perspective (for me). Despite being in the Capitol City, it has been the most impoverished place she has ever been to. The hospital that she is working in is the premier one in the country...yet it is in conditions that I cannot imagine, despite her vivid descriptions. A lot of what she described, I really can't wrap my head around.

Reading about Doctor Cousin's account really put things into perspective for me. I think about my kiddos a lot and how tragic their life has been...yet on the other side of the world (and in between) people are suffering in so many different ways and on different levels. Yet, people can still find the joy in life. Isn't that something?

No comments: