Monday, March 05, 2007

Because We Do

So, I probably ask BF at least once a week if we can get another turtle or turtles. He usually responds with:
A. No!
B. Only if we can trade this crazy one in.
C. No, you're crazy! What are we going to do with [absurd # of turtles I am requesting for]?!
D. (All of the above)

But really, the big problem is that Lil F is too spoiled. We tried getting her playmates in the past, but she thought they were food. So, if we were to get another turtle or two, we'd have to get a separate tank. Now, an initial tank set-up can cause quite a dent in one's wallet. For a decent one, it'll run at least $150 for initial set-ups. For a more bougie one, it can run $300+. I haven't calculated monthly costs b/c I typically buy things in bulk (kind of like how I buy our food and necessities from Costco!).

Then there are the expected unexpected expenses. For instance, yesterday, Lil F splooshed so wildly in her "feeding corner," as usual. The unusual thing is that a drop of water hit her second basking bulb and it popped and blew out! Dude, we just replaced that $9 bulb! (But I got it for $6 b/c I purchased it online.)

So, BF did say in a serious tone that we would have to get a separate tank. Of course I said, Yeah! Put it in the bedroom! I don't think he was sold on that idea. He did seriously consider moving her into a bigger tank (hm, wouldn't that mean we could move her current one into the bedroom? Of course we'd have to get rid of our dresser. Who needs clothes anyways!)

So tonight, BF said, "Tell me why you NEED another turtle." At first, I just kept saying, "Because we do!" Because we do.

Per BSILF's request, here are my 5 reasons why BF should rescue another turtle:
  1. BF won't be home to keep her company from ~9:30 AM - 7:30 PM. Ever since she came home with him in December '04, he has kept her company for more than half the day.
  2. I am not home to keep her company for most of the day, too.
  3. BF usually keeps her company well into the night (like 3 or 4 AM); he won't do that any more since he will have to go to sleep at a "decent" time.
  4. If she had a playmate, perhaps she wouldn't be so "bored" as to devour her basking dock.
  5. We just do need another turtle. Preferably a Yellow-Bellied (to which he responded, "our turtle already has a yellow belly" to which I responded, "but I want one with yellow ears."

Maybe he struck my 5 reasons down because they could all be summarized under one reason: she will be extremely lonely. I think deep down, he fears that I am too obsessed with turtles...and he certainly does not want to add fuel to the fire!

Clearly, I am just procrastinating studying for dysphagia. Back to the grind...

1 comment:

Mark Reisch said...

well, he already knows that he'll still be keeping her company at crazy hours of the night. Once a night Owl, always an owl.

Hope it all works out for you. =)