Saturday, March 17, 2007

Saving a life, 2 breaths and 30 compressions at a time

On Saturday, I woke up extra early to meet my classmates in Pasadena for a CPR class. I couldn't resist another Coffee Bean treat so I stopped by the same one as the day before and then headed on my merry way.

Our class consisted of Cheryl (the instructor), Cheryl (yours truly), BSILF & BSILFH, Yoyce and her BF Yayson, Rat A (a.k.a. CIA), Dimsum, Cold-Hearted K, and a lone nursing student who must've thought we were a crazy crowd. I'd say we were pretty successful at keeping the anxiety down and the fun at a high level. :)

I had a late random thought about all of this CPR stuff. For several years, I've been wanting to get certified just for the heck of it. I just never did. Now that I am about to extern in the hospital (in less than a week!!), it is a requirement. I'm glad I was "forced" to do this because now that I am officially certified (scary thought), I wholeheartedly believe everyone should do it, too!

The class was pretty intense for me. I think I went through a few emotional phases pretty quickly just in the first hour. When I first gave Cherelle (my adult manikin) mouth-to-mouth, I was freaking out, imagining that Cherelle was a real person and her life depended on me. After giving about a dozen cycles of compressions and respiration, I was a bit more confident. But then Cheryl busted out the child (Cher) and the infant (Elle). That made me think -- I am glad I never baby-sat b/c if anything happened, I wouldn't know wth to do except "call 911!"

Fortunately, after 5.5 hours of instruction, demonstration of competency, and a 100% on the examination, I am happy to say I saved Cherelle, Cher, and Elle. :)

Still, I hope I get through my externship w/o ever having to yell, "Call the code! Get the cart!"

No comments: