Saturday, November 04, 2006

No Firma Los Papeles

Although the whole quarter has been rough for me, I feel like getting through this week was especially a big accomplishment.

Yesterday morning, I meant to prepare some more for my meeting with 2T. Instead, I stopped by Coffee Bean for me, bro, and FBIL before heading over. There, I meant to type some notes up before I headed off to school, but instead, I chatted w/ FBIL re: schools, IEPs, and related stuff. I've never attended an IEP meeting, so he commented on how schools can be extremely aggressive, pressuring the parents as if they had no choice. Oftentimes, the parents don't know any better, so they really think that they do not have a choice over their own kid.

I am actually quite interested in attending an IEP meeting. I think a part of the whole process appeals to me because deep down, all the legal stuff fascinates me. It's also interesting how people who know the law prey on the people who don't.

Anywho, I met with 2T for an hour. I don't get how I can like and not like someone so much. It's like cognitive dissonance at its best/worst. I like her b/c she is full of applicable knowledge and she explains theories and ideas in such an eloquent way. I (think I) could listen to her lecture if I weren't graded on anything except attendance.

One thing she is constantly reminding me of is watching my language (semantics) when speaking to my kiddos. After all, they are here b/c they have a COMD. On the other hand, I know I have a tendency to overestimate my kiddos. They give me an inch, I demand a yard. Is that such a bad thing? What did Vygotsky say about ZOPED and scaffolding?

In my defense, I think it's worked out fine this quarter. I.e., 2T tells me not to say "sentence" to Miracle, as in "tell me the whole thing in one sentence now." Yet, Miracle's done just fine whenever I instruct her by saying that. As for the Riddler, I say whatever comes to mind b/c I secretly think he's a brainiac...just w/ some language problem that we still haven't figured out. I mean, he uses compensatory strategies that amaze me; things that I wouldn't think of doing (considering that am 17 years his senior, that's sad on my part). When I explain a concept to him (another thing that 2T tells me not to do), he'll sit there in silence and cogitate, then look up at me and say, "I get it." And he does.

But I digress.

So I met with 2T and I was supposed to get my midterm eval, but we ran out of time. I met w/ her again for almost another hour to discuss what we should tell Miracle's Mom. In short, we told her about 5 times in 20 minutes, "No firma los papeles." Don't sign any papers on Monday! You gotta love the law. Not doing anything (i.e., signing papers) begins a whole new legal process.

BTW, since I've been in this crying mood, I wanted to cry during our meeting with Miracle's mom. She didn't understand how she could not sign the papers. We didn't understand how she could. Apparently, she didn't know she had a choice; during those meetings where her child's fate is decided, the presenters intimidate and pressure her into signing and mislead her to think she has no choice.

I don't know if I could work in the public school. I think I'd have too many ethical and moral dilemmas.

I came home and worked on my session evals then BF and I headed out to Tiger Lily for a little rendezvous. I wasn't gonna go, but BF wanted to use me as an excuse to come home early. That backfired since his client didn't show up until 11 and then CBR said, "Just chill til 11:15," which was when he began spinning. That of course graduated into, "Wait til I'm done spinning two sets." A couple sets/45 minutes later, we left. It was nice, though, b/c we got to spend a little alone time, then socialize (it's been so long I think I've forgotten how to), and then hit the floor a little again, it's been so long that I think I've forgotten how to; hopefully, everyone else was too faded to notice) before we bounced. All in all, I was glad I went out because it was a really nice break. It was a fun, relaxing night out with the BF. But dang we were exhausted by the time we got home. We stopped by McD's around 12:30 A.M. I was so tired it took me an hour to finish my chicken sandwich and fries. Well, I guess that's not saying much since I usually take 45 minutes. I finished my session evals and just about keeled over.

Today was quite productive w/r/2 chores and schoolwork (although I can't believe it took me 2 hours to clean Lil F's tank! I was so sure I could finish in an hour). I finished my chapter summary and take-home midterm so I could stress a little less when we visit Pastor Aunty tomorrow. For the first time in my life, she is really moving away. Not that I visit her often, but it's still weird to think she is moving away. I am happy for her, though. Pastor Aunty is making a big move up North next weekend to begin a new job. She will still be ministering and pastoring. :) A;sp suprising is that Ama is going with Pastor Aunty to stay until Thanksgiving!

OooOO, I'm so excited that it's holiday season already. I was already getting excited the few days before Halloween. In my eyes, the holiday season has begun!

No comments: