Saturday, November 11, 2006

Baby Melanie's 1st Birthday

Not having clinic on Friday has thrown my whole weekend off, but in a good way! I'm in disbelief that I still have another day "off." I totally need it since I haven't gotten much schoolwork done (as usual) but for good reasons.

Last night, I drove to Dad's to spend some time with him and get some work done, since BF's friends were over for a play date. I didn't get too much done since I was so sleepy (but I did get some good rest). BF called me in the middle of the night (like good ol' times when we weren't living together) and gave a re-cap of his night with his homies. He's kind of sad, yet happy that everyone is "moving on." At the end, he said half-jokingly, "Now, it's just you and me against the world." Haha. :) Of course I had to correct him with, "It's you, me, and the turtle." Man I love our turtle.

This AM, Dad cooked a ridiculously huge brunch for me. I was deliriously full when he insisted I eat a small scoop of ice-cream to feel less full. I didn't get the logic, but I sure didn't turn it down. Afterwards, I rushed over to my HS friend's parents' house for her baby girl's first birthday party.

As I approached her house, I had such a rush down memory lane and the good ol' HS days. I finally met baby Mel who is such an adorable little doll! I also reconnected with some HS friends. I was quite excited to find out that DY is an OT (who said her school is looking for an SLP). Our other buddy, PL, showed up, too. I really duno how Jac, PL, and I became buddies, but back in HS, PL kinda thought of us as the sisters he never had. Ten years later, I'm still getting a kick out of Jac regulating on PL like an older sister.

Shortly after I got there, baby Mel had to take a nap b/c Dad jacked up her schedule, so we got pushed into the house for a "cooking show." Actually, it was a full-on Saladmaster demo right there in the kitchen. Man, I was sold within 15 mins. An hour later, I was getting antsy to hear the price. (Un)fortunately, the price was way too high for my unemployed self so I had to walk away. It's a good thing I don't watch infomercials.

I shot the breeze with Jac and PL and oggled at Melanie a little more before we had cake. The weirdest moment was when I stood with them in the backyard, and I had the strongest deja vu. It was one of those deja vus that I swore had happened at least 3 times if not more. I had to leave after cake and before presents so I hope she/they liked what we got her.

I've decided from here on that I will give babies language-enhancing gifts (and something fun/cute on the side). I know, I will forever be the aunty that gives boring gifts. I've never bought a b-day gift for a baby before (I don't count baby shower registries), so that was tons of fun looking at all the cool toys and books out. I ended up getting her a Baby Einstein Animal Discovery box set. To desperately spruce it up, I got her Hello Kitty hair accessories. C'mon, every girl should have a Hello Kitty accessory! ;)

I rushed back home to hang out with BF and his sister. Actually, I worked on reports while they played Xbox 360. Now, I'm taking a break before I start on my 2nd ISR revision. It's been a fun and exciting weekend so far. :)

No comments: