Thursday, November 16, 2006

Limited Vocabulary

Today, I made up a session with Miracle. It's so much more fun (and less stressful) when it's unsupervised. She actually made me proud, recalling words that I (think I) taught her over the previous sessions. That gave me hope for her limited vocabulary. When I say "limited," I mean, extremely limited (I taught her "knife" last session). I think she needs massive exposure to English b/c she seems to try really hard to pick up new words when I work with her.

At one point, I turned around to pick up some material and she said, "You have something on your back."

Crap!

I thought that I could just ignore it (the way she ignores my questions when she doesn't want to answer).
M: You have a tattoo.
Hm, maybe she really doesn't have an expressive language delay...!
C: How do you know what a tatoo is?
M: I have a tattoo too.
C: Oh really? Where?
M: I had one on my arm but now it's gone.
I wonder if she thinks mine will be gone tomorrow. I hope she doesn't ask to see it tomorrow. I also hope she doesn't go home and ask Mom to find her a HUGE tattoo from a 25 cent vending machine or Cracker Jack box.

Thank goodness my make-up session with Miracle was "unsupervised" today.

No comments: