Thursday, November 09, 2006

No Clinic Tomorrow!

This week in review~

On Monday, BF and I figured out/decided that our turtle is left-handed. Today, BF figured out that the turtle keeps eating the dock (and making me mad!) is really b/c she is just hungry, despite us feeding her the typical "adult" amount. Although the simple solution is to feed her more, it also contradicts what we know we should be doing -- feeding her less! Adult turtles are supposed to be fed once every other day...not twice a day. Hm. Maybe she is still a baby or adolescent? She's not even two years old yet. She is 5.25 inches, though, which makes her legal and an adult. Man, if height was a predictor of our age, then I'd still be considered a teenager then.

On Tuesday, I got my midterm grade for clinic. That was disappointing but not a surprise nor fun. I think my sessions are also supposed to be no fun. I believe 2T does not like any/much laughter. She was observing Rat B while talking to me and both Rat B and her client erupted in laughter 3 times. Each time, she did not look happy. Last time, she left me and interrupted the session and asked Rat B, "Is this speech therapy??" Anywho, it made me think about how much I really enjoy laughing with my kids and hearing kids laugh. One challenge in therapy is keeping the child motivated (and not bored). Sometimes being a little silly or making the activity a little more fun can go a long way.

Yesterday, I made up a session with the Riddler. He came in wearing his pajamas b/c it was Pajama Day at school. That was great. I promised I'd bring my Queen single CD of "We are the Champions" for him to borrow next week. It's like his all-time fave song, which still cracks me up. I also observed a few more curious habits of his, but none that I will mention in my session evaluation...which I have not turned in yet (the rebel that I am).

Last night, our neighbor gave us a little baggy of yummy mini-mini-M&M-cookies that she baked! That was so nice of her. She's so festive and fun. She even offered to feed our turtle when we are away.

Tonight, we had a dinner midterm b/c our professor is so rad! First of all, he hates giving exams and grades. Second, he is such a nice professor. Third, he likes to cook. Fourth, he likes (to remind us) to have fun. Tonight, he made/brought soul food! Mac & cheese (my fave), collard greens, and corn bread. After the exam, I gave a horrible inservice; "horrible" strictly for bad reasons -- the shorter the presentations were, the sooner we'd get to leave (I think mine was 1.5 minutes) and it wasn't graded (I am quite externally motivated by grades). I feel kind of bad about giving such a bad presentation but my classmates have received at least 10 inservices by now. I'm planning to put more effort into next week's presentation. For reals.

Since today is burger day, I stopped by Jack-in-the-Crack for BF. Of course I had to use my coupon, so I got myself a chicken bruschetta sandwich. It was soOOOOoooOoo good. I was also retardedly impressed with how fast I ate it (half hour? I think that's a record for me!).

Lastly, I am going to bed like right now (or after I fold laundry sitting on the bed). Talk about being tired (which I am), BF hasn't slept since yesterday AM AND he cleaned our place inside out from 6AM to 6PM. I swear our place has not been this clean ever since we moved in. It wasn't even this clean when we moved in. He really puts me to shame when it comes to cleaning...although I would never admit that! I am tired, though...and soOoOOo happy that I don't have clinic tomorrow! Instead, I am going to work and then running some errands.

Busy day tomorrow, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, no laughing? All right, just so I am clear, it is only speech therapy when there is no fun occuring?

I am flabbergasted! Truly and utterly! How can we motivate people to participate in learning and practice hard skills if we cannot have fun? One of my strongest strengths as a clinician is the ability to make therapy fun. I have been told so by every (even my toughest one!) supervisor I have ever had (five thus far!).

My undergrad profs constantly told us, "If you are bored, then your client is bored and will not be learning.

Please verify this no laughing/no play/no fun policy. And then tell the rad prof HE needs to do an in-service to the supervisors!

Chanel said...

U know me...I am too scaredy-cat to verify any EBP (or pseudoscience). She's never interrupted me w/ a no laughing policy, but you know how she is with me letting my kids converse apart from speech therapy material...It's a no-no.

Your sessions are totally fun. I even have fun just observing, much more being in them!