Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Worst day of clinic ever

Seriously, today was the worst day of clinic ever. Not being melodramatic. It wasn't b/c of my kiddos. I have got to be 2T's #1 dumbest lab rat this quarter.

My day started off with 3.5 hrs of sleep, since I stayed up revising clinic docs and finishing I.S.R.s. again b/c I think I finally figured it out.* At least I hope.

*Tangent: the (only) good thing about finally writing the "list of goals and objectives" correctly came up tonight in our language seminar. That's how school SLPs complete IEP goals!

We had a Dx this AM and I realized that me and JOmega both have the crappiest schedules this quarter. She lives N of RPV and I on the W-side, yet we both have 9 AM Dxs and clinic until 6 on Fridays. Our last Dx member lives in Palmdale! (She also has the coolest toys and books for kids.) The good news is that we only have one more Dx left. The sad news is that I really enjoy Dx evals and I've had great experiences with the supervisor and my classmates. The thing is that I've had really good schedules in the past so it's fair.

Anywho, before my meeting with 2T, BF called and broke bad news. That left him and me in a depressed state...(so I told him to play with the turtle b/c she'll make him feel better. He called me crazy of course). Meeting with 2T was just the icing on the cake. I had my usual hour-long meeting with her and I declare, I really do not like these session evals. I hope this is the last quarter of them.

I guess I was too honest on my last ones b/c the things that I thought were good were bad and all the things that I thought were bad were really bad. I wanted to cry halfway through the meeting. I was so defeated that I spoke incoherently (the way I normally do when I'm totally defenseless and anxious). I gave myself a bigger complex during the meeting b/c then I started wondering what psychoanalysis she was running on me b/c of my inability to communicate (and her background in psych).

The thing is, she's really good. Intimidating, but good. I'm just a dumb lab rat (A.K.A. Rat A). She hopped around all the ongoing sessions multiple times, but for me, today was the most times she stopped by my sessions. It's really unnerving, especially after our discussion during the meeting. The Riddler, on the other hand, was offended that she treated him like a kid (although he is a kid!); he said something sarcastic after she left. Thankfully, she didn't hear...but I have it on videotape for my videotape eval. I guess I won't be turning today's session in...Oh, but the Riddler cracked me up b/c as our session came to an end, I asked him what song he likes (segue into Friday's session) and he said, "The Queens." I'm thinking, no way Queen. He's too young. He said, "You know, like 'weeeeee are the champions, my friiiiiiend. Weeee'll keep on fiiiiighting, til the end.'"

We are the champions,
We are the champions,
No time for losers
Cuz we are the champions
OF THE WORLD!

Actually, I don't think he sang the whole stanza, but somehow he got to the end b/c I remember chiming in on "world." I guess I needed to fake myself into feeling like a champ.

Next was our 3 hour class where we had to unexpectedly present our mini-AAC board. Mine was soOooOoo lame, especially going after K3's kick-@$$ AAC boards (plural) for Grama W. I almost jacked one of hers to present. She was sweet enough to take me seriously and agree. Crazy K3! ;) My sweet clinic gang had to cheer me on b/c they saw me in b/t sessions and knew it was a bad day. Well, actually, we were all in the same boat.

So I cried a little on my way home. I can't remember the last time school made me cry. I told my BF, I'm so exhausted and I just want to go home and sleep...and wake up next quarter. Just really bad days for both BF & I. When I got home, I asked the BF, "Do you think the turtle ever has bad days?" I totally expected him to give me the customary, "You're crazy!" and a solid "No." Instead, he said, "Yes, she's had many bad days. Remember when..."
  1. She fell an equivalent of 20 stories? (This story always makes me laugh.)
  2. We had a heater that didn't have a thermometer and you made the water so hot that she actually jumped onto the dock? And we thought she was just excited about basking!
  3. She scratched her neck and had a scab for two weeks? (She actually has a scar! Like her lines don't match up. This also makes me laugh. We still don't know how that happened.)
  4. She got her head stuck between the dock mounting brackets? (Regardless, I still think my turtle is really smart.)
  5. You fed her a bad piece of lettuce? (I didn't realize it was somewhat dehydrated.)
  6. You lost her? (I didn't lose her! She just wanted to hide...three times. Wait til she's like 8 inches. She won't be able to hide anywhere in the bedroom then!)
Yeah, he's right. She's had some bad days, too! But like BF said, it's going to get better. No clinic on November 10 and 24!

I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -

No comments: