Thursday, October 19, 2006

Supernatural Bagels

Today went nicely. Maybe b/c I began my school day with a yummy grande in a venti nonfat vanilla latte with extra whip cream.

When I got to school, one of my wonderful classmates arrived with a very special treat! She bought the most delicious bagels from Panera and in support of breast cancer awareness month! I was doubly delighted b/c for some unknown reason, I am a big advocate of breast cancer awareness (not that I've done the big walk or anything...but I do send in my pink Yoplait lids! And not that I don't support other cancer, disease, and disability awareness). Funny b/c on my drive to school today, I told myself that to put my pink ribbon pin on when I get to school, but in my sleep-deprived state, I completely forgot! :(

But I have to rave about my classmate and the bagels! First, I really admire Ms. NB for generously buying to support a great cause. I thought she had bought 20 bagels to sell for donations for an organization, but no! She bought to support the cause and to brighten our day!

I don't know anyone personally that has/had breast cancer (and/or is a survivor). The closest I "got" was knowing someone through weekly updates from my co-worker's sister's best friend. We talked about this friend like she was part of both of our families (after all, TK is my black sista from another motha). After a weekend, we'd catch up with the usual roll call (How is dad, sister, brother, cousin, significant other, Stacey?). Although Stacey did not survive, I remember her for being such a strong woman despite her rapidly deteriorating condition. Even though she was enduring so much physical pain and emotional turmoil, she remained strong to console her loved ones. Many of her friends would visit and start crying just looking at her. :( I'm glad that TK stayed strong, though...and saved the tears for after the visit...or for when we talked about her. =P I can't imagine how hard it must've been for both of them. Although I never met her, I felt like I knew the her through stories, updates, and pictures. I cried when TK called to tell me Stacey passed. :(

I'm always happy to hear people getting involved and organizations doing special things like donating a portion of their proceeds. Which is what Panera is doing until the end of this month. I have to agree with Ms. NB that this is a delicious bakery! Today was my first time having it, but I may have to stop by the LAX location the next time I'm picking up/dropping somebody off!

Look! The bagels are made especially for breast cancer awareness! They're in the shape of a ribbon, and they used "pink" fruits (sorta. Like cranberries and cherries).

Seriously, they beat chocolate chip bagels (which is what I asked Ms. NB when she arrived).

Anywho, I'm just on a blogging tangent b/c I don't want to work on clinic stuff. I was feeling all amped up, but when I got home and read 2T's comments to my session evals, I just lost all motivation. :(

It has seriously been a rough week/quarter. I know it's not just me, either. Even my co-TA classmate said this quarter's just crazy. Even K3 is having an insane week. When these girls say it's rough, then I KNOW that I'm not exaggerating when I say this week/quarter has been/is mofo'in krayze. Look, I've even lost the ability to spell!

Oh, the last bit of good news for the day:
  • 1) I co-"won" a silly competition in class today where we had to duplicate a tribal design. I have to brag b/c I am incredibly unartistic! Can't draw for the life of me! The co-winner is my literally little classmate. I saw hers and was blown away! Our "judge," Lil C's mommy, put both Little K and I at 1 standard deviation above the mean, but seriously? Little K should have been at least 2 SD's above the mean...if not 3! I don't think many people know this, but this girl can draw. We all know that she is a genius in a 60 pound body (she is also the youngest of our cohort). But last quarter, she drew some amazing cards for clinic. Seriously, this girl is amazing. She's gotta be an alien. I mean, how can one person be so good at everything? Hm, 'alien' doesn't sound very nice. She is supernatural. In a good way. She's so sweet, too, so you can't hate on her, either!
  • 2) I finally got approved for financial aid! I've been without since March!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Miss 1 SD above the mean! You should be proud to be lumped in with Little K! She is the genius among us!

And congrats (is that the right word?) on the financial aid finally!

On a serious note, thank you for sharing the story about Stacey. I am sorry for her loss for you and all who knew her/knew of her. It is wonderful when people like NB support the cause for Stacey and others like her!