Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A great Tuesday

It's amazing how great I feel when I have a good session with my big, small potato.

As usual, he had me lmao (on the inside). At one point, he accrued 5 puzzle pieces and decided that I was rewarding him too slowly so he dumped all the pieces onto the table and redid the puzzle w/ those 5 pieces! What a smarty-pants! Humph! The part that really made feel so bad for him was when he heard the vacuum in the far distance, and he completely froze in terror, even though he was safe from it. Total deer in headlights! Mom mentioned that son is terrified of vacuums. Awww. :( So I tried to talk even louder so he wouldn't hear it. Thank God it went away after a few seconds. Unfortunately, the damage was done; the poor kid was so traumatized. When the session ended about 7 minutes later, he was scared to walk out into the hallway of the clinic. Then we exited the clinic and he was still scared, standing by my side, and trying to hold my hand. I felt so bad for him b/c Dad was nowhere in sight, too. Then he saw the bathroom and ran in to do his business. Poor kid. heehee~

The other thing that cracked me up was when I was trying to teach him "bathroom" and he made a fist while sticking his thumb b/t his index and middle finger. I seriously got nervous and panicked -- WTH is he doing??? Is he about to sock me? After about 5 seconds, it hit me -- he's signing "bathroom" in ASL!! Haha! I could totally hear my partner and observers laughing at me. The joys and embarrassment of being observed through a two-way mirror. Lucky for them, they get my BSP all up in their faces, every time he goes to get a kleenex and blows his nose and picks it in front of the "mirror." HA HA!

He's a good kid, and I'm really proud of him. I really hope and pray I can make a difference. It's funny b/c last quarter, Dr. K told us, if the kid is not getting better, that means YOU have to change your therapy techniques b/c it's not therapy if no change is made in the kid. But, this quarter, Dr. Synthesis keeps telling us that we will come across kids that we just cannot help. Funny how we all have such different perspectives. Me? I just hope I can help the people that God places in my life.

Today is also my best friend's birthday. :) She's a real special someone that God's blessed me with, and I love her to pieces! She's a friend that I can always count on, rain or shine, 2 P.M. or 2 A.M. She's got one of the most compassionate, caring, honest, and genuine hearts and is simply one amazing woman. I'm looking forward to seeing her tomorrow. I figure I should just stop on by b/c if I don't do it now, I'll keep prolonging a visit! (I'm trying to be less stressed and more spontaneous these days). I hope she likes the gift I got her. I know it's not super personal, since it's a GC, but she LOVES this stores (unless her preferences have changed) and I'm absolutely terrible at finding gifts. Not to mention, time is a precious commodity. I had to ask my wonderful bro to get it for me. =P

Alrighty, it's back to work now. I have 1.5 papers to write, another blog to post on, a Chapter and paper to read, and an alarm to wake up to at 5:30 A.M. We'll see how many I get through tonight...Hopefully, I don't keep the neighbors up (they called at 2 A.M. this morning saying we have been too noisy the past few MONTHS). Shhhhh...

No comments: