Sunday, April 01, 2007

My First Week in Rehab

I didn't think I'd be so fascinated by the hospital setting, but I really am! Last night, I told BF that I really enjoy it and am seriously thinking about working in the hospitals. He was floored b/c not more than a week ago, I was all about working in the schools. I can't believe how indecisive I am about my near future. I hope I have a clearer picture in 10 more weeks!

My first day in the rehab unit was packed with orientation and observations. On my second day, I observed but began documenting sessions in the charts. By the 3rd day, I started seeing patients. Dude, there's nothing like learning things fast through trial-and-error and sink-or-swim scenarios. =P

Fortunately, my MC eased me into therapy by having me see an "easy" patient. He is practically the Rehab unit's favorite patient. Unfortunately, he is a "returned customer," as my MC calls these poor patients. This elderly gentleman makes me laugh so much. I was thrilled when he remembered my name by the 3rd session b/c he can't remember his OT's name save his life (memory impairments secondary to his Dx). He'll remember after we give him cues. On the 3rd day, he called me his OT's name (which was great, but that's not my name!) so I asked him all dramatically, "Do I look like [OT's name]?" He snapped out of his fog, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "No. You're much better looking than him." That had me ROFL. Then he added, "Well, [OT]'s not too bad, either." During another session, I helped him with his next day menu choices. He was so cute; he kept asking me what I wanted, even though I kept reminding him that I wouldn't be having lunch with him. Eventually, he stopped asking me what I wanted and started putting "2" next to the orders: 1 for me and 1 for him.

I don't know why I can't get over this, but I am constantly amazed at how much I've learned from my grad program, and it's such a trip to apply that knowledge. I guess that is why these externships come at the end of this program.

10 more weeks until graduation! (Plus, one "easy" summer class, according to BSILF :)

Happy April Fool's Day!

No comments: