Friday, April 13, 2007

Wernicke's Perseveration

Yesterday, a few of us were talking about Wernicke's aphasia (which I still think is such trip). One therapist worked with someone who perseverated on bad words; the "good" thing is that he was somewhat intelligible so the cussing was mingled with not so bad words. (Can Tourette's Syndrome be comorbid with Wernicke's aphasia?)

I said, "man, if I ever get Wernicke's aphasia and perseverate on ONE word, I hope it's a happy word." So one of the therapists suggested the word "happy" for me. "Happy happy happy! Happy? Happy." She sent me off with the therapeutical recommendation that I begin "practicing perseverating" on it so that the motoric action becomes automatic (in the event that I get W.A. or apraxia). When I got home and told BF about the lunchtime discussion, I decided right then and there that I wanted my "word" to be "turtle."

Turtle turtle turtle. Turtle turtle? Turtle TURTLE turtle.

For BF, it doesn't matter whether I have W.A. or not b/c that's already what he (thinks he) hears from me everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

TURTLE TURTLE!

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

The plumbers stopped by while we were both not home. I laugh imagining what a crazy "welcome" my turtle must have given them.

No comments: