Tuesday, April 10, 2007

That is Incorrect

Sometimes, I think I really confuse my already confused patients. This is how some of my sessions have generally begun:
Me: Is your name John?
Pt: No.
Me: Good. You're name is not John. Are you wearing pants?
Pt: No.
Me: No, you are wearing pants.
...As in I am trying to say, yes, you are wearing pants. Or, no, you're wrong; you are wearing pants. *sigh*

So my MC gave me feedback and said that instead of confusing them even more, I should say, "Yes, that is correct" or "No, that is incorrect."

As I get accustomed to asking the same Y/N questions, there are some that I get really nervous about asking. Specifically, gender-related questions. Today, my session went like this:

Me: Are you a man?
Pt: Yes.
Me: Good. That is correct. You are a man. Are you wearing a dress?
Pt: No.
Me: That is correct. Am I a man? [as I hold my breath]
Pt: Yes.
Me: No! That is incorrect! I am a woman!

=X
I hope I get recognized as a woman tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The yes/no questions are definitely tricky! Thanks for your advice with them - I used it today!