Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pederass

(Dude, "The Big Lebowski" totally rules!)

My little buddy didn't come yesterday (nor my older, very sweet client). When I spoke with Mom, she said that he was asking if he'd get to play "up/down" with me. Yay! The psycholinguistic approach just might be working! Not that saying up/down is more functional than saying, "I'm hungry," but it sure beats "Wheeee!" and "uh-oh!"

So, in EDSP yesterday, a bunch of us worked on our clinic stuff. I can't believe we made it through the whole class; half of our group ditched the 2nd half or was just MIA. My classmate snuck peeks at my Task Analysis, and we started cracking up. For one of my goals, I'm working on expanding his vocab so I thought that incorporating a children's song, such as "head and shoulders," would work great with teaching him body parts vs. sitting and drilling. The only problem is that under "Consequence," it reads really bad:

If correct: clinician nods and smiles while continuing the song and identifying corresponding body parts

(No problem at this point.)

If incorrect: clinician guides Andy’s hand to the appropriate body part as it is sung while touching her corresponding body part with her other hand.
(Pederass!)
I better stop blogging and get to re-wording the latter consequence to sound a lot more acceptable and professional. Hopefully, when I plot out "The Hokey Pokey" for goal #2 (following simple commands), it won't sound as scandalous.

I have no idea why I'm incoporating children's songs when I can't hold a note. Last quarter, clinic partner-in-crime and I put on a greeting song show for our kiddos and that was traumatizing enough on my part. The things we do to get kids to talk!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a great idea!1 I love it so much I might totally steal it! And singing - did you see me yesterday? It was a regular Broadway spectal! Only without the talent!