Friday, July 28, 2006

"Earthquake Weather"

I spent last night at Dad's where it was insanely hot, humid, and overcast (earlier). Dad said, yup, it's earthquake weather. Funny b/c just earlier in the day, I was discussing w/ BF how it's earthquake weather and why haven't I heard anybody else say it lately? Well, it was good to know that us 2 aren't the only paranoid ones.

Earthquake weather is so creepy. I commented to my friend from the opposite coast the other day that you never know when it's gonna rain. She thought I was nuts b/c it's summertime in LA! On TV, Hollywood is always perfectly sunny. :) (That's not to say that her impression of LA is based on TV. Hence, my side-story.)

Side-story: When I was in junior high, we had pen pals from Arkansas. One Arkansan wrote to one of my classmates, "I have never been to L.A. before. Is it true that it never rains like on TV?" Heehee. I remember us all LOL. Kinda mean, now that I think about it. Other pen pals wrote about how Chelsea Clinton was their (best) friend and how she's really nice and all. (This was the time when President Clinton first began serving.)

So, everytime I mention "earthquake weather," I think about my friend b/c even though she's learned quite a lot about LA within the past year, there's still so much to experience and know! Like how no matter how polite and courteous people can be, others will still be rude (to their friendly bus drivers. I always thanked mine even when I exited from the rear of the bus ;).

And like how we actually have "earthquake weather." BF and I describe earthquake weather as "funky weather." For instance, it downpoured in BFE when it was 100 degrees everywhere else. There's been 71% or more humidity on the Westside -- this is L.A., not Miami! It's been overcast, but Africa hot and Taiwan humid. It's just not the stereotypical summer weather. BTW, Taiwan had a 6.1 earthquake "last night" (as in PST).

Today, my BGF and I chatted for a little and talked about "earthquake weather." She described it as, "waking up in the early morning to walk Teddy, and everything is so still and quiet...it's just creepy." That's a new one.

So yeah, earthquake weather. I think I might blingo that to see what comes up.

Here's a good one (actually, I pounced on the first good one I read since I'm working off of weak, stolen wi-fi):

Folklore reserves the term "earthquake weather" for the sultry, ominously uneasy period said to precede large earthquakes. Scientists have generally belittled suggestions that weather could have anything to do with the ponderous forces unleashed during a quake. Despite such authoritative pronouncements, many Californians, who have ample experience with seismic events, insist that quakes and weather are somehow connected.

They may be right -- at least some of the time.
Tonight, Gramma also said, this is earthquake weather and that she didn't know where to hide if there was an earthquake. Poor Gramma! It's true! We've always been taught to hide under a table. The problem is, all of Gramma's table are made of glass. I told her to stand in the doorway between the family room and the hallway, but right against the wall is a ginormous mirror. :( Hm. Come to think of it, this house is not very earthquake-safe, especially for Gramma!

Hopefully, we won't experience any. Thank God I don't work in the U.S. Bank Tower any more (it's only the tallest building in Downtown L.A.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now that I am schooled on "earthquake weather" I think I am going to be paranoid until it is winter here! This whole "earthquake weather" thing is very creepy! Especially as I sit her sweltering in the heat, humidity and overcast skies!

Also, hiding under a table? That just doesn't seem very safe, especially considering the pitiful, ghetto table currently standing in the place of honor in my "dining room." I am going to go the doorframe route.

Seriously though, is there really going to be an earthquake soon???? I kinda can't wait for my first one so it can be over with and done. Plus in some weird, super hero way it seems like it might be exciting. I realize that is insane and there will probably be nothing but panic when I actually experience it, right now there is a mystique of danger that seems cool. (I think there might be sometihng wrong with me!) At the same time I am terrified I will die in it or that my hubby will die in it. Maybe blizzards aren't such a bad thing after all???