Friday, May 12, 2006

Green stuff

How cute -- and crazy -- is my turtle! Since she is almost 5 inches now, she is getting a little too strong for our good. What used to be a ginormous wood log is now a mere stick for her. Every other day, the Incredible Green Hulk in her knocks it over. Today, I came home just to find her desperately hanging onto the last bit of dry wood that's left for basking purposes. Crazy turtle! Mind you, the log is about a foot and some change. I say she's talented. BF says she's misbehaving.

On a separate note, I'm still on the bandwagon of overdiagnosing autism. Added onto the list are myself (e.g., I have trouble transitioning between my clients' sessions) and my turtle (she often self-stimulates via her glass reflection). Both of my kiddos LOVE to self-stim w/ the 2-way observational mirror in our room.

I'm proud to say that in Wednesday's clinic session, Bawler didn't bawl for once! I think the other kiddos and fellow clinicians started thinking something was deathly wrong because they didn't hear the bawl-out at 4:50 P.M. on the dot.

More than half the session consisted of me simply ignoring her and shootin' the breeze with my assistant. We talked about everything under the sun, from summer plans to vacation plans post-graduation. Bawler kept misbehaving, climbing under the table, picking the gum off from underneath the table, spitting in her hands and rubbing them together, yelling at the mirror, etc. The only time I really intervened was when she opened the door to yell child-rated obscenities into the hallway. When I warned her against that, she tested me by placing her (dried-spatted) hand on the knob and yelled her same child-rated obscenities at the door.

The one thing that we all quickly learn is how necessary it is to religiously use anti-bacterial lotion and disinfect everything the kids come in contact with.

K2 was equally gross. At one point, I looked up just in time to see her touch a block with her index finger and leave a slimy streak. She emphatically noted, "I put my booga on." That would've been appropriate if we were working on the third objective (i.e., prepositions on and in), but we weren't! Gross!!

I'm afraid to know what kinda kiddos I'll have next quarter...


No comments: