Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mini 11-year H.S. Reunion with the M.A.S.H. Contestants

Facebook update:
  1. I've been officially off the fb-addiction as of sometime last week, when I deleted the appln from my iPhone. It was slowing my phone down too much (no, it wasn't b/c I was constantly on fb).
  2. FB rules! My GF Sarah found me on FB and immediately suggested a few of us get together for a little M.A.S.H. reunion. What an awesome idea!
Back in HS, Sarah, Michelle, Cindy, and I were on the school newspaper staff. Those were very, very fun times. During senior year, Michelle was the powerhouse chief editor, while the rest of us were page editors (i.e., roles with less responsbility). Cindy and I ended up with the Features page...which meant laying out dance pictures every few months (pre-Photoshop days) and writing random articles of interest (or what we thought was interesting). When we weren't gobbling up Hershey's kisses and Oreos or taking walks around campus 4th period, we were playing M.A.S.H. with each others' fate in hand. Talk about Sarah's selective memory passing onto me, I totally don't remember the choices we gave each other. But Michelle sure reminded us today!

We ended up meeting for lunch at Din Tai Fung, a very famous dumpling house in San Gabriel. It was my first time eating there, which completely shocked the ladies (how can I call myself Taiwanese?). We waited outside in the sweltering 93 degree heat for about 40 minutes before we were seated. Since I was a newbie, I let the ladies do all the ordering, and they made excellent choices! We had a variety of dumplings, shrimp shau mai, pork fried rice, pork chop (cutlet), and veggies. It was all soOoOOo delicious...and it secretly made me reminisce about our China trip a year ago, when my bro bought me a very fresh and huge crab dumpling.

We started lunch around 1:16 (I only remember this b/c the waitress writes the time you order on the ticket; apparently), and we didn't leave until close to 3! I had such an awesome time catching up with my wonderfully nerdy friends!

Contrary to what our MASH fates declared, no one is married to a Jiffy Lube mechanic (according to the girls, that was one of my favorite jobs for their potential spouse), no one is driving a Wienerschnitzel mobile (another one of my favorites), no one is working at Hot Dog on a Stick, and no one is married to any HS classmates...To no surprise, they are doing big and wonderful things.

It's awesome times like these that remind me what friendships are about...and how much I miss my friends.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

were these some of the friends who drew hearts around certain somebodies in the yearbook?

Chanel said...

Oh yeah! Too bad I forgot to bring that up. That'll be the rage for the next time! :)