Sunday, February 11, 2007

Gramma's Favorite Expo

On Saturday night, Ama left me a VM that sweetly said, "Cheryl, I was wondering if you wanted to go to a fair tomorrow." It's adorable b/c Ama usually isn't interested in big events, yet she LOVES Chinese New Year events.

Yesterday, Aunty of two Geniuses, Daddy, Guh, Ama, and I went to the Asian-American Expo. It was amazing to see the turn-out (I tried to keep a level head, but I really don't like big, pushy crowds!). There were 4 buildings at the Pomona Fairplex dedicated to this massive event. We checked out every building and partook in a myriad of samples and other foods.

Along the way, we grabbed freebies. Now, I've gotten better about grabbing freebies; I only took what I absolutely wanted. I left with a gray Oak Tree hoodie jacket (next closest thing to a black one; I've been wearing BF's XL one) and a mini-tape-measure keychain. Unfortunately, we did not win the bike from the raffle.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from an expo. Usually, an expo focuses on a type of product. The last expo I went to was for computers. This one was an Asian-American Expo so the gamut of products was incredible (and random): steam rooms; organic foods; toilets; jewelry;
DVDs; figurines; little pet crabs...and little turtles!

I kind of expected there to be little, little turtles since I read that "Building 8 is devoted and dedicated to all pet and animal lovers, young and old. We offer a petting zoo with adorable cuddly animals like goats, sheep, llamas, ponies, pigs, rabbits, etc. Pet vendors will also offer a variety of dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, birds, reptiles, etc for sale." REPTILES.

I told my bro that I really wanted to go to Building 8 so before we left, he made sure that I got to go. In fact, we all went. On the way there, my dad offered to pay for me to ride an elephant or a mule. I kindly declined. I was surprised b/c after that, my dad said, "that's kind of said to see these elephants here. You know this is not their natural habitat or nature so they must not be happy."

When we got to Building 8, I was both excited and sad. I'm not like a PETA person or anything, but I got really sad seeing all the adorable pets cramped in the cages and containers. I was excited that I saw a few kids bringing turtles home, but sad thinking that they will likely not be properly taken care of. At least they are going home, though.

There were tons of adorable puppies tumbling over each other in small cages, too. On a funnier note, my brother really wanted to impulsively buy a Maltese while my dad showed lots of interest in a crazy Red Standard Poodle. I can't understand why my dad is interested in a $3000 "redhead" poodle on steroids with crimped hair. It's actually really funny. He has asked me to look for one to adopt and to call him up right away, when I find one. I don't know if I really want to...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice time with your family! Just to clarify, was the hoodie FREE? That is crazy!

I am glad you got to hang out with your family!