Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Lock Down

Today, I lived life on the dangerous side. Unintentionally, of course.

For the first time, I experienced a Lock Down. (Thankfully, BSILF explained what a Lock Down was, before our practicum began.) So yesterday, I was at Site 3, deemed the "worst of the worst." I was observing really tiny tots in the AM (holy moly, little boys are a bundle of insanely high NRG!), and frolicked back to the small potatoes' side mid-morning with the intention of getting some Dx hours. Instead, I worked on my first report and had lunch in the Teacher's Lounge w/ MC2.

During lunch, I flipped through the C S H A program and saw that one of my wonderful profs will be honored at the convention! I was all excited and telling MC2, when I stopped mid-sentence and exclaimed, "OMG! [BSILF] also won an award!" I was a little embarrassed b/c I exclaimed that BSILF is one of my classmate and a really good friend. Embarrassed b/c I didn't want her to think, "Well, if she's your good friend, then wouldn't you have known about this already?"

Well, it turns out that BSILF didn't even know! Crazy! Congratulations to BSILF for the Outstanding Student Award! :D

After the excitement, we went back to the room to finish up reports. Around 1 PM, Mrs. A barged in saying she barely escaped being caught by Security (she didn't evacuate when she was supposed to). Turns out there was a bomb threat called at the Tiny Tots' site (literally 1/4 of a block away from us) so they had all evacuated onto the front lawn. Now, having witnessed only 2 rambunctious boys at a time for half hour sessions was already exhausting enough. I couldn't imagine the thought of 90+ high NRG boys and girls out there.

We thought we were safe so we continued working until 10 minutes later, we heard a loOooOong bell. I had no clue what that meant, but Ms. M peeped outside to see if we had to evacuate. Nope; not a soul outside. She called the Main Office to get the low-down.

Turns out we were on Lock Down. Dude, whatever happened to fire and earthquake drills? As paranoid a person that I've become, I guess I didn't really think there was a serious bomb threat. On the other hand, this wasn't a Lock Down drill. It was for reals. After that settled in, melodramatic images filled my mind. I envisioned the SWAT team outside, investigating a mysterious package. I don't think that's what really happened, though.

MC2 and I eventually snuck out thru the cafeteria and left unscathed and unharmed. What a risky day it was.

Today, I got the scoop. The 50 interrogated all the JH kids and supposedly took the juve delinquents into custody. Apparently, the same kids were at Site 2 two days prior, committing the same act (but I was at Site 1 so I missed that commotion). Not to mention, yesterday at Site 2 (where I was today), a HUGE fight broke out b/t two races. Glad I missed that.

I'm too young to get life insurance, aren't I?

P.S. I categorized this under "Rarities" with the hopes that this is a rarity!

1 comment:

Mark Reisch said...

DUDE you gotta be careful!!!