Saturday, January 06, 2007

Ice Adventures

First ice adventure ~ ice-cream!
Two nights ago I made ice-cream for the first time! I busted out our new ice-cream maker and made cookies 'n cream with real Oreos. Man, it was delicious! BF and I haven't finished it yet b/c it is really rich. I could definitely get used to making ice-cream as soon as we have more room in the freezer. Making slushies may be my next move. :)

Second ice adventure ~ snowboarding!
On a whim, I decided to go snowboarding w/ Bro, FBIL, and their buddy and his BF. Actually, I had a dream early Wednesday morning where I went snowboarding. When I told Bro and FBIL during our night hike, FBIL mentioned going boarding today. I was hesitant since school already began and time for fun adventures is a rarity. Yesterday, Bro asked me again, and with a little hemming and hawing, I decided that it was now or never.

So I woke up at 5 AM and was at my bro's 10 minutes before 6. Former We Ho cheerleader and his BF picked us up at 6, and we headed to Big Bear. Starbucks stop, equipment rental, and three and a half hours later, we were hittin' the slopes. The powder was perfect and fresh since it had just rained and they had just added more man-made real snow. It was also great b/c it wasn't too crowded. After two runs, we ate an early lunch. Dude, seriously, the nachos and chili fries were so good. Bro & I had Peanut M&Ms for dessert. :) We did 3 more runs and then called it a day b/c by then, it was jam packed with people and taking forever to get on the lifts.

I had so much fun! Fortunately, I didn't crash into anybody. A dude rammed his board into my back b/c he didn't see me (I was at the top, strapping myself in), but at least I didn't get a board rammed up my crack, requiring stitches (like Bro's anonymous friend).

I fell a lot more times than I thought I would, and I was a lot slower than the last times I've been. In fact, I was the slowest of the bunch. I wanted to attribute it to old age, but FBIL and Bro are older than me and I used to be faster than them. So that wasn't it. Maybe I've just become less coordinated and weaker. Dude, I was eatin' their dust all day.

In terms of injuries, I didn't pull any muscles, like how I pulled my groin muscle big-time in 2002. =X That was a horrible experience (and I didn't even know I had a groin muscle to pull). Bro, FBIL, and I also attempted to learn to carve, but after I totally ate it a few times, I gave up. It was hard b/c 1) we were learning on the intermediate/advanced slopes so it was way steep for an amateur to learn on and 2) when we tried to learn on the bunny slopes, it was way too crowded and you pick up speed so fast. The last thing I wanted to do was stop my board by running into the many people obstacles along the way.

We left around 2 and made another Starbucks run. I didn't realize how tired I was; after I had my latte, I totally fell asleep for about half an hour. BTW, Sbux has some adorable Valentine's Day stuff! When I got home, I cleaned Lil F's tank, too. By the time I was showering, I could barely lift my arms to wash my hair! How weak is that!

It was so worth it, though! This past week has been adventurous, special thanks to FBIL and Bro. I am trying to be more spontaneous and adventurous, despite the daily stresses of being a grown-up and being a student. :) Not too shabby a track record for the first week of the year, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very adventerous and spontaneous! I am very impressed! Last time I went snowboarding I was face down more often than upright!

I am glad you wrote about your yummy ice cream experience, b/c I kept meaning to ask about it. It sounds delish! I am glad your first ice cream making attempt was a complete success! Congrats and yay to you!

Mark Reisch said...

well at least I know that the spoon was put to good use LOLOLOL

Snowboarding man that is some fun. Especially when you don't hit any one.

sounds like a great start to the new year!